Screen with black stripes

Reaction score
I opened my intel Imac 21.5 late 2012 to increase the memory from the original 8GB to 16GB. When I closed the screen appeared with 3 black stripes. 1 big one and two thinner ones.
The computer is working without problems.

I think the problems is not due to the graphic card, as i can see without problem a Quicktime video in an external monitor. I can also make screen capture without problem and the images I get cames without the black stripes.
IMG_3932.jpg

what could be the problem? How can i solve it? a new LG LCD for this computer might be needed?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

From your explanation, it seems like a failing LCD panel to me, since an external monitor displays everything normally. Since RAM in that particular model is not user-upgradeable, you could also have a loose/damaged connection or have some electrostatic damage from the RAM upgrade.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

From your explanation, it seems like a failing LCD panel to me, since an external monitor displays everything normally. Since RAM in that particular model is not user-upgradeable, you could also have a loose/damaged connection or have some electrostatic damage from the RAM upgrade.

Hope that helps,

C

Many Thanks for your comments!! I took all the possible care to avoid electrostatic damage, but the main question is, Could electrostatic damage affect only on some parts of the screen as normally, if it would be the case , it should have affected to all the screen?

It is very important to have some light on this question, as from my point of view the reason of the LCD failure was due to the fact that perhaps my cutter touched some of the 5 thin screen connectors!!

I should decide to buy a new LCD or perhaps if the problems came due to electrostatic damage the change of LCD will not solve the problems!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
-Electrostatic damage wouldn't normally affect only certain parts of the screen itself, it may have simply damaged the connector.
-Yes, those cables can be somewhat delicate and easily damaged.

It really does seem like an LCD cable or panel issue to me, not the logic board or other components, since it works normally otherwise and an external monitor displays things properly. You could try a new cable instead of an entire LCD panel.

C

Ask a Question