Scanning Problem

Reaction score
My HP 6000 Envy all in one, no longer scans with Mac based apps: Image Capture, Preview, Sys Prefs>Printers and Scanners>Scan etc.

All I get is this message:
Screenshot-2023-09-20-at-17-23-57.png

It works fine with VueScan, but I don't really want to pay for something that I only use once in a blue moon.

Does anyone have a solution or can point me to a free scanning app that actually works?

M1 MBA with MacOS 11.7.10

Reaction score
My HP 6000 Envy all in one, no longer scans with Mac based apps: Image Capture, Preview, Sys Prefs>Printers and Scanners>Scan etc.

All I get is this message:
Screenshot-2023-09-20-at-17-23-57.png

It works fine with VueScan, but I don't really want to pay for something that I only use once in a blue moon.

Does anyone have a solution or can point me to a free scanning app that actually works?

M1 MBA with MacOS 11.7.10
Have you tried Image Capture.app? It comes with macOS. I actually use it more than the scanning software with my Brother printer.

Reaction score
I had this exact issue last night. My issue was that the scanner was plugged into a dock (hub), and when i reconnected the scanner directly to my Mac the issue went away.

Reaction score
I decided to troubleshoot my issue some more. When i have the scanner plugged into my dock i get the error that you got, but when plugged into my LG Display I did not.

It ended up being a firewall issue in Ventura.

What I did was go to System Settings > Network > Firewall > Options. I then added Image Capture and set to Allow Incoming Connections.

Why this did not matter when the scanner was plugged into my display is confusing, but this solved it for me.

Reaction score
When you 1st setup the printer did you install any of the software or drivers that HP provided? If so I would recommend uninstalling anything from HP.

Reaction score
Problem solved. Installed an update of HP Scan and that worked. Then tried Image Capture, Preview, etc and they worked as well.

Not sure how the HP Scan update sorted Preview etc.

Ask a Question