'Save As' in Word

Reaction score
Hi

I'm typing a document in 'Word' and want to save it. Normally I would 'Save As' to create a new file and name it but nothing happens when I try to save the document. Any advice on how to get my 'Save As' working again would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.
  • Which version of macOS?
  • Which version of Microsoft Word?
  • Is this a newly created doucment, or one that you opened, edited, and want to save it as another name/format?
C

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for the replies.

I'm on MacOS Catalina
I've just downloaded/updated the latest version of word for mac (16.59)
I'm trying to save a new document.
The 'save as' is not greyed out.

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for the replies.

I'm on MacOS Catalina
I've just downloaded/updated the latest version of word for mac (16.59)
I'm trying to save a new document.
The 'save as' is not greyed out.
Such a tricky situation. The latest version of MS Word, by the way, is 16.61, but this is beside the point. What I would try in cases like this is to switch to another user (or create another admin user even for the time being) and try the same thing. If “save as” works for this user, then there must be something corrupted with your default user’s settings or preferences. Also, does “save as” fail for all other Word documents?

If it fails for the new user as well, it could be due to another system conflict. Then the more difficult steps of trouble-shooting starts.

Ask a Question