Safari Not Loading Outlook

Reaction score
Good day guys,
I am a teacher and I use 2 Macs for my work: a 2014 MBP running Big Sur and a 2010 27" iMac running High Sierra.
I use my MBP whenever I'm onsite but I do most of my admin work and some heavy file lifting w/ my iMac. So at home I usually use my iMac for school emails, editing etc. Now my school uses Microsoft Office (w/c is tied to our LMS) so any correspondence between my students, the school and me is via MS Outlook. So since the school is so closely tied with Microsoft, I open my school sent emails via Safari and opening my school Outlook emails there and I havent had any problems w/ this set up for the past years until abt 2 weeks ago.

When I open my MS Outlook via Safari, the splash page opens normally: the left side shows emails I've received but the preview page on the left shows only a generic icon saying: "select an item to read". But when I click on it, it starts to load the email (i can start reading the first few lines then an error message pops up. (Please see the attached screencap)

My initial suspicion was that Safari's preferences may have been corrupted and all I need to do is delete it and re-boot Safari b/c during the old OSXs, when a software starts misbehaving, the culprit was usually a bad preference. But it seems this may have been applicable during the Jurrassic age :D :D :D since I can't seem to find the preference file for Safari. I also thought of re-installing Safari but since it was part of the original Installation, its preventing me from doing that. I can only update it.

Am I correct in suspecting that it has something to do w/ MS updating Outlook? If so, can this still be remedied? My machine can only go as far as High Sierra. I can open my Outlook account w/o any problem on my 2014 MBP Retina. I needed the real estate of my 27" iMac b/c I occasionally need several windows open simultaneously (I know, I know...big sin :D) but using my iMac in Target mode just to open emails is very tedious.

Can there be quicker fix aside from having to buy a new machine? So far my old iMac's it's been doing fine chugging along w/o any concerns (except for this Outlook thing) and I've been very happy w/ it :D

Thanks in Advance to any kind soul that can give me insight.

Stay Safe

Attachments

• Screen Cap.png
    Screen Cap.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

It could be that the latest version of Outlook on the web has different system/browser requirements than previously.

The first thing I would try would be to use Firefox or Chrome on the iMac and see if those work. If so, then the older version of Safari in High Sierra may be showing its age.

C

Reaction score
Hello Mr Cory, apologies for the late reply but it looks like you're spot on. I used Chrome (same machine) and it opened w/o any issues.
High Sierra on my machine (2010 27" iMac) has already made it to Apple's "obsolete" list since they won't be issuing any more updates to it. Oh well. Such is Life :D

A million thanks sir!

Ask a Question