Safari crashing a lot for the last days

Reaction score
1. Try using System-->Utilities-->Disk Utility
then Repair Permissions.

2. Remove these files to desktop: Home-->Library-->Preferences

com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist

com.apple.Safari.plist

These should be rebuilt by Safari later.

3. In Safari Menu "Reset Safari". Make sure you have your usernames and passwords in another file.

4. Delete Safari 2.0.4 to trash.

5. Use installation Disk 1 that came with your computer and use "Optional Installs" Select "Safari"

ReStart.

6. Open Safari and download the OS X 10.4.11 update. Forget the fact you already have it. Just do it.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx10411updateintel.html

7. Install the update.

ReStart.

It should work.

Reaction score
U r gonna think I'm a coomplete disaster, but I've misplaced my start installation disk. Also I cannot reset safari becuase I cannot get into safari at all. I have now also lost firefox. I presume that I did this when I repaired disk permissions?

Is there anything I can do now? I hope that this has also not affected my other software, such as Creative Suite 3

1. Try using System-->Utilities-->Disk Utility
then Repair Permissions.

2. Remove these files to desktop: Home-->Library-->Preferences

com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist

com.apple.Safari.plist

These should be rebuilt by Safari later.

3. In Safari Menu "Reset Safari". Make sure you have your usernames and passwords in another file.

4. Delete Safari 2.0.4 to trash.

5. Use installation Disk 1 that came with your computer and use "Optional Installs" Select "Safari"

ReStart.

6. Open Safari and download the OS X 10.4.11 update. Forget the fact you already have it. Just do it.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx10411updateintel.html

7. Install the update.

ReStart.

It should work.

Reaction score
Repairing permissions only sets the permissions to factory default. This shouldn't be the cause at all.

If you have lost your installation disk, you will have to get another one. It is critical you have this disk!

If you can find a local outlet that has one or borrow one from a friend.

Do you back up your data on a regular basis? If not you should.

Good luck.:)

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
If you have lost your installation disk, you will have to get another one. It is critical you have this disk!

This is sound advice ... believe me, I've been a victim to what can happen and it is something I don't want to experience again.

Reaction score
Repairing permissions only sets the permissions to factory default. This shouldn't be the cause at all.

Thanks a lot Peter and everyone for your help, this has worked. I found the installation disk and this will now be under lock and key.

Just a small thing tho' :

"Open Safari and download the OS X 10.4.11 update. Forget the fact you already have it. Just do it.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...dateintel.html"

I tried this and my G4 would not let me do it. Do u think that this is because my G4 is an older model? (I think it's OS X Leopard, bought Nov 2005)

Many thanks

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Peter and everyone for your help, this has worked. I found the installation disk and this will now be under lock and key.

Just a small thing tho' :

"Open Safari and download the OS X 10.4.11 update. Forget the fact you already have it. Just do it.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...dateintel.html"

I tried this and my G4 would not let me do it. Do u think that this is because my G4 is an older model? (I think it's OS X Leopard, bought Nov 2005)

Many thanks

Great, yeah, don't let those Install Discs go missing .... they are very necessary and will get you out of sticky situations.

Re: the 10.4.11 update, your G4 is a PPC and that link is for Intel Macs. You are running Tiger aren't you? If so:

Try this link.

Ask a Question