Retrieving photos from WD My Passport external drive

Reaction score
When I upgraded my OS recently I lost some photos that were in IPhoto since the new OS only uses Photos now. I did keep a lot of the I Photo photos but I cannot find the ones I need. Since I back up my MacBook Air (2014) regularly, I know they are somewhere in the Passport. I don't know how to find them and then I don't know if and when I do find them, how to put them into my "Photos" app.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,
  • Which version of macOS did you upgrade from - Mojave?
  • Was it only using iPhoto previously?
There are a few ways to retrieve photos from the backed up iPhoto Library, but they are semi-involved.

C

Reaction score
Hello,
  • Which version of macOS did you upgrade from - Mojave?
  • Was it only using iPhoto previously?
There are a few ways to retrieve photos from the backed up iPhoto Library, but they are semi-involved.

C
Thanks for your interest and questions, Cory: I upgraded from High Sierra to Catalina. Prior to the upgrade I only used IPhoto, although I did have the Photos app in my dock. However I still have some of my photos from IPhoto in this new (to me) app. I am just missing some that are important to me.

The photos are what I would like to retrieve from My Passport external drive. But I don't know how to retrieve anything from it, so it would probably be good if I understood how, other than backing up from my laptop, I can access what has been backed up.

Ask a Question