Restor photo option to iCloud

Reaction score
Just bought a new iMac a week or so ago and have had a couple of problems transferring from my old Mac. The latest is that I have run out of iCloud drive space. I am assuming that this has to do with the number of devices I have. (I have deleted the account for the old Mac)

In trying to reduce what is in the drive I decided to uncheck "Photos" temporarily to test whether that would reduce the space taken up. Then I deleted a lot of photos from my iPhone. This has made no difference, so I am guessing I may have done that back to front. Should I have removed the photos first?

My problem now is putting the photos check mark back in to restore photos to cloud, but when I try a box appears asking for my password (Apple password I assume), which it won't accept. Above it, the space for Username will not accept any text. Is the username essential in this case? If so, why can't I insert it?

What am I doing incorrectly?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model is your old Mac?
-What version of OS X/macOS is it running?
-Did you perform a migration using Migration Assistant?

C

Reaction score
I don't know what model it is, only that in "About this Mac" it says 21.5-inch, Mid 2014. OS version 10.14.6. Performing migration, and Migration Assistant are completely unknown terms to me.

Reaction score
After a search I just found out what Migration Assistant was. So the answer is no, I didn't use it. I might add that everything on the new computer was done from scratch. About all that was transferred from the old one was the email addresses.

Last edited:

Ask a Question