Reset MacBook pro 14 M1 without any passwords

Reaction score
Hi! How do I reset everything in my MacBook and start completely fresh, when I have no working passwords. Admin password doesn't work, cannot reset the login password with apple id either. Even in the disk utilities / startup mode with all the tools available it is asking for admin password and without it I cannot do much anything. If someone wants to know how I ended in this situation, I can try to explain what I know, but right now I really just want to know if this solution will work:

https://pdf.wondershare.com/macos-10-15/reset-a-mac-without-the-password-on-macos-10-15.html

In a nutshell this is erasing the entire Macintosh HD from Disk Utilities, and then reinstalling OS. I just want to double check before I do anything, I don't want to turn this laptop into a brick. Will this method work to reset the laptop completely?

I might as well explain that I just bought this laptop second hand. I created my user account, apple id and all and went throught the process as if this was a brand new a new laptop. All good and working until I powered off and was asked to login. Now my password doesn't work and neither does the apple id password. Funny thing is that I can login to this newly created apple id account on my phone, so the password is correct and this proves it. It just doesn't work on this computer. Two passwords were created during the installation and neither of them work anywhere on this computer now. I have no clue how this can be. Keyboard settings were on correct language also. And again the password for apple id works online so... Witchcraft?

Don't know how this is possible but yeah got to reset the laptop without any passwords now.

Also it would be nice if Apple had that option that Microsoft had where you can click an eye icon when writing a password and then you can see the password you have written. That would have eliminated guesswork about if the keyboard language settings were still messed up. I double checked everything when putting the passwords and again the apple id password works correctly online... But still.

Anyway thanks for help!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for the delayed response. I see you got the issue resolved from your post on Apple Discussions.

Stay healthy and safe!

C

Ask a Question