Renaming folders

Reaction score
I have made sure I have read and write permissions for folders in question. On wife's side of desktop (her computer) you can rename folders, but I'm on a second dektop
and it acts like I need some more permissions.

Reaction score
What folders? You don't want to be renaming folders in a different User Space or at the Admin Level.
This is Unix, and its not hard to break stuff when you start messing with folder ownership and privs.

Reaction score
No no, nothing radical, just a folder I created to put pictures in. The spelling is wrong and I want to correct it.

Reaction score
Sorry but what do you mean by second desktop? are you meaning your own User Account, or do you mean that you have added a Desktop in Mission Control?

Reaction score
No error message, It is my wife's computer with her as the registered owner,I have secondary desktop in the Mac. I can rename folders on her side, but not mine.

Reaction score
I can rename folders on her side, but not mine.
do you men when you are logged in as her? If you have your own user account you need to be logged in as you, you shouldn't even be able to see her Folders, let alone rename them.

Reaction score
No, I'm logged in under my name, and these are my folders, I not messing with her stuff, i cannot even see her stuff which is the way it is supposed to be when you are in your own account.

Reaction score
Did a complete restart. The folder I'm looking at, when I go to get info the name is grayed out. Still won't let me change it.

Reaction score
What OS version are you on?
If its on Lion can you go to the View menu and Show Path Bar, can you then let us know the full Path.
This is most strange.

Reaction score
It's on 10.6.8 Yeah, if I go to my wife's side of the computer it lets me modify ordinary folders. Been playing with Mac's for 20 years now never seen anything like this.

Reaction score
Yes it lets me do that.
Even the folders it won't let me change the name in it, if there is a nested folder in it, I can change that. Weird !

Reaction score
Oh my God I got it !
This what I did. I high lighted the entire file, that held all of the sub folders. then I noticed that I was not listed as the administrator for the whole group it would not let me change
earlier. Made my self the administrator and bingo, it worked. Good God !

Thanks for all of your help, my neighbor is a Kiwi from the south island.

Ask a Question