Recover lost windows

Reaction score
I'm trying to recover some pages that I had open when my macbook (OSX 10.8.5) crashed. Unfortunately I was using Opera (V30) in private browsing mode. I've tried looking at my DNS cache - but not exactly sure how to read it. (I can't see the URLs in the text) I've also looked at my router logs but can only find info like this: May 9 00:39:27> PPPD Successfully Launched May 9 00:39:32> pppd 2.4.3 started by root, uid 0

Would appreciate any suggestions. Just to let you know - I'm not trying to snoop on anyone, really just want to recover the pages I had open!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, since you were using private browsing mode, you won't be able to recover them. In that mode, it doesn't store any temporary files. I don't think you could find the URLs in the logs either.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.
I rang a computer repair/ IT help company -they said it was possible to recover, but would be expensive. I thought if they could do it, then I should be able to learn how to do it.. Or maybe they can't and I'd just be wasting my money!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I would be surprised if they could recover that data. Your ISP might be able to, because private browsing/incognito mode only prevents your browsing history being stored on your computer, but I am not sure if they would perform that function for you.

I guess it's really up to you whether it is worth the expense of them attempting it, and the very likely possibility of it not being recovered.

C

Ask a Question