SOLVED Rattle noise from fan during boot

Reaction score
About a week ago i started hearing a rattle noise from my Macbook Pro 2018, which seems to come from the left fan. You can hear it making the noise as it slowly speeds up the fan. It will keep making the noise for about a minute, where it then fades out and then seemingly works fine until the notebook is turned off and on again. The sound it emits is similar to that of lifting the notebook too fast while fans are spinning.

Any clue on why the fan only makes the noise in the first minute of it being turned on? Is it an indication of the fan being worn out and perhaps needs replacement soon, or could it be a minor thing that I could try to fix myself? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Reaction score
The load will be higher in the first moments of booting. There may be some dust etc on the fan blades.

Reaction score
The load will be higher in the first moments of booting. There may be some dust etc on the fan blades.
Thanks for your prompt reply. I have thought so as well. I just find it strange that it actually disappears once the fans reach a higher speed, such as if I open a game after the boot has completed.

Reaction score
This is a sign that the fan bearings are going bad. If the fan is not replaced the noise will get worse over time and eventually the fan rotor may seize up.

Ask a Question