Ram for my Mac

Reaction score
I have a 2009 imac desktop with 4 megs of ram. I want to put more ram into my machine. What kind of ram do I need? How much ram will this computer take? Where can I get the best ram for the best price. I'm not good at doing stuff like this, is it pretty easy to do or should I take it in to a computer shop. I'd rather do it myself at home if possible.

Thanks,

Kent

PS I might be wrong a year either way '08 or 2010. Does the type of ram stay the same within these years?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

RAM type does vary within the 2008-2010 models, as does maximum memory. We would need more information to assist you.

Do the following to get specific model information:

-Click Apple logo in upper left of menu bar
-Select About This Mac
-Click More Info... button
-Depending on which OS version you are running, you will get detailed information on your Mac.

Let us know the following:
-Model Name
-Model Identifier
-Memory Type/Speed

C

Reaction score
I think that this problem applies to me also. My details are as follows:

OSX 10.6.8

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

My computer has become very slow, especially when using QuarkXPress; perhaps you can help me too.

K

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
kokopelli,

Adding RAM to your iMac should help with QuarkXPress, especially if you run other applications simultaneously.

Your iMac is an Early 2008 model, which has a max of 4GB (2x2GB). You would look for:

PC2-6400
Unbuffered
Nonparity
200-pin
800MHz DDR2 SDRAM
SO-DIMM

Here's a good reference link from Apple:

iMac: How to remove or install memory

C

Ask a Question