Question about my new used macbook

Reaction score
My brother gave me his old MacBook because he got a new one. I wanted to know the best way to clear all of his old files from the computer so that I can clear up the space. I read somewhere that I can just create a new admin account in system preferences and then delete his old account. This would permanently delete all his files? What about applications on here such as Microsoft Office and iTunes etc.

Also because this is running on 10.5.8 I was thinking about upgrading to Snow Leopard. What improvements will I notice from Snow Leopard. Can I download it or do I need a disc? (i read that I need the actual disc). Also is this version of the mac compatible with even newer OS's or is Snow Leopard basically the tops I can get?

Here's some of the computers info:
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2

Thanks.

Reaction score
Creating a new User Space and then deleting the old one does not effect anything that is not in that User Space. If the Applications are installed in the Applications Folder then they will not be effected.

Of course the documents and Libraries related to those Apps will. All the music/photos ect will be gone. It will be like starting new.

Note: I recommend having an Admin Account and your new separate Standard User account for day to day use.

Reaction score
Creating a new User Space and then deleting the old one does not effect anything that is not in that User Space. If the Applications are installed in the Applications Folder then they will not be effected.

Of course the documents and Libraries related to those Apps will. All the music/photos ect will be gone. It will be like starting new.

Note: I recommend having an Admin Account and your new separate Standard User account for day to day use.

Why would you recommend using a Standard account for day to day use instead of an Admin account. I was planning on creating an Admin account and deleting my brother's old Admin account and just go ahead using the new Admin I had set up. Is there any reason not to actually use this account?

Also your thoughts on Snow Leopard?

Thanks so much for your input.

Reaction score
Number 1 reason Security!

Every time you enter an Admin password you need to know exactly whats about to change.

Number 2 reason Security!

There are a ever growing number of Trojans. If you accidentally install one and are using an Admin account you are giving them total access.

Number 3 reason Security!

I can mean you don't accidentally move, delete, overwrite, change, mess with System software.

Ask a Question