Problem with automator: executing action twines even if not requested

Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to use automator to speed up some operations in my Mac and I have some troubles, I hope some of you can be of help. I would like to have a service that converts file in PDF directly from the finder (i.e. i right click on a file on the finder and chose among the services the one I created and the file is converted in PDF). The workflow I am using is shown in the attached picture. I know it is in Italian so it might be difficult to read but it is really easy. It is a service working on files and folders in finder that does these three steps:
  • Get specified elements selected in the finder
  • Prints the elements on the PDF printer
  • Opens a specific folder where the PDF outputs are created
The problem that I have is as follows: when I run the service on .doc files I get two (identical) copies of the PDF file. During the execution of the script Microsoft Word is opened to print the file and I noticed that it is opened twice (and then the file is printed twice). Is there any way to avoid this. Did I make some mistake in my workflow? It looks like this happens only for .doc files. With Excel files everything seems to work fine and I get just one copy of the file (as expected).

Thanks a lot for your attention, any help will be appreciated.
Best,
Alessio

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    65 KB · Views: 375
Reaction score
No I have just one copy, thank you for your reply.
Anyhow I think I probably found the origin of the issue. I removed from the automator script the first step "Get specified elements selected in the finder" and now it works properly. Don't know exactly why (maybe workflow that works on files and directory already receives the list of files selected?!?), but the issue is fixed.

Ask a Question