Problem with App updates on MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I just tried to update Google Chrome. After I drag the Chrome icon to the dentition directory I get an error message that the file already exists. I can skip, replace or keep both. If I select replace it will not allow the update. If I keep both a second icon is created with the number 2 after it. "Google Chrome 2" This works but now I have a second copy of the program.
This is also accruing to Plug-ins I try to update.

Reaction score
Google Chrome never fully quits, nasty thing that it is.

Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar and select About Google Chrome. The current version number is the series of numbers beneath the "Google Chrome" heading. Chrome will check for updates when you're on this page. Click Relaunch to apply any available update.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I have seen this happen with a few pieces of software. When updating Chrome, try dragging the currently installed app to the trash, then run the installer. That will eliminate the error message you received - to skip, replace, or keep both.

What plug-ins is this occurring with that you are updating? Does it happen with almost all third-party apps?

C

Reaction score
Google Chrome never fully quits, nasty thing that it is.

I was able to find and delete the old app by turning on the view option for "system files."

I then renamed the new "Google Chrome 2" app to just "Google Chrome." It works fine now.

Also I found the version number and it says Google Chrome is up to date.

Thanks.

Reaction score
I have seen this happen with a few pieces of software. When updating Chrome, try dragging the currently installed app to the trash, then run the installer. That will eliminate the error message you received - to skip, replace, or keep both.

I'll try that next time.

What plug-ins is this occurring with that you are updating? Does it happen with almost all third-party apps?

The only plug-in giving me problems is from Quake Live. And that is when I play it in FireFox. Otherwise I use Safari to play that game.

It sucks I have to use three browsers.

My wife likes Chrome.
I like FireFox.
And Quake Live and Netflix works best in Safari.

Ask a Question