Printing Issue

Reaction score
I have been talking with HP, thinking that my problem was printer related.. but, more thinking (dangerous) leads me to believe it is not driver related as much as OS related.

I have a desktop MAC running 10.10.3

Until recently, I can't pinpoint a time.. when I clicked on Print, the dialog box came up for mods to my defaults.

Of the options, I was able to go from color to B&W, etc. That option has disappeared. I can now only print in color.

HP had me delete the printer and reload preferences and then reload the printer. No help, The option is not there any longer... Only "Two-Sided" Did I hide them somehow? Or are they GONE?

Print Options.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Try clicking on the drop-down labeled Safari just below the Orientation section. There you should see something like Print Settings that will allow you to change it to B/W, monochrome, Black, etc. Check all the different settings there if it isn't listed as Print Settings.

C

Reaction score
Here's what I get.. I see that I'm low on ink.. and it is the black.. but when I print it prints the color.. and the black comes through very well

Screen Shot 2015-05-09 at 11.47.45 AM.png

Reaction score
I made an OP under Mac OSX and think it should go here. I can't print in B&W. There USED to be an option to do B&W.. but it's no longer. Originally tried HP as it's an HP printer.. but their solutions didn't help.

I have OSX 10.10.3 and an HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 series. I can't pinpoint when the change took place. It's only on MY Mac.. my wife's Macbook has it.. I've uninstalled the printer and went to Apple | System Preferences | Printers n Scanners and uninstalled the printer.. then Re-installed and restarted.. Nada..

There should be a choice next to "Two Sided" that says something like B&W and/or Grayscale

I merged both threads … S_D

Last edited by a moderator:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Under the Presets pull-down menu, are there any other options besides Default Settings?

Reaction score
Here is a shot. I can click draft/bwt.. but that doesn't put the box next to the "two sided" checkbox.
Screen Shot 2015-05-10 at 5.46.34 AM.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Very strange indeed.

HP does write the drivers, Apple simply distributes them via Software Update. According to the OS X: Printer and scanner software available for download - Apple Support page, the latest version for your HP Office Jet Pro 8620 is 4.1.0. We should check to make sure you have the latest version:

Apple > System Preferences... > Printers & Scanners > Double-click on the HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 in the list > Click Settings. It should give you the driver version number.

Also, is there an item called Paper Type/Quality in the "Safari" drop-down we previously discussed? Maybe that will have a Color Options section?

C

Reaction score
Thanks again CC. Yes, I have 4.1.0. It appears I can MANUALLY change to B&W/Greyscale.. but, that would not solve the problem of why I've lost the checkbox that allows the process to happen in one click

Ask a Question