Printing across networks and configuration

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to install two instances of the same printer on a MacBook. One in color and one for black and white. I also want to know how to enable the root user on the Macbook.

So here is the story. I have a PC (tower) with Windows 7 professional version 6.1 service pack 1.

The PC is connected to an Ethernet DI-604 router (Cabled not WiFi). The router has four ports. So a 16 ports switch is connected to one of the router port to be able to expand the Lan.

The Internet comes in through a modem-cable connected to this router.

Three more computers are connected to the lan. a Dell, a MacBook Pro and a MacBook air.

To the tower PC is connected a HP laserjet 1300 printer through a USB port. In the printer properties, on the share of this printer box, the box is ticked as ”shared”, and I can print to the HP printer from the Dell.

A second printer is connected to the network. A Xerox Phaser 6500 (Color). This printer is connected to an Ethernet port of the router. All computers can print to this color network printer.

1.) What I want to do is to configure the Xerox on the Macs two ways. It now prints in color. I want to be able to have the Xerox installed as a second device so that it prints also in black and white only. I saw that it can be configured ad hoc also through the web browser http://localhost:631/admin, but I don’t see where to set the color to black and white only.

2.) Also, I want to be able to print to the HP Laserjet from the MacBook. I want the Macbook to talk to the tower PC based from its bonified IP address which is 192.168.0.100 (which is configured in the router). I do not want to use the new windows network functionnality where the username of the Macbook needs to be entered as a user on the windows 7 tower PC. By the same token, I would like to set up a share on both platforms that can be accessed form the other platform (pc from mac and vice-versa)

3.) I tried to enable the root user on the MacBook, to run cupsctl webinterface=yes. The instructions I had to enable root seemed not to work on OS X Mountain Lion.

Thanks for any help,

Reaction score
You should never need to enable Root on a Mac.

Whats wrong with making a Preset for Black and White and a Preset for Colour.

We have not seen anyone get Macs to share printers on PCs.

Reaction score
You should never need to enable Root on a Mac.

Whats wrong with making a Preset for Black and White and a Preset for Colour.

We have not seen anyone get Macs to share printers on PCs.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no preset. When trying to install a second instance of a printer, I get the message that the printer is already installed and do I want to overwrite. Also, I don't see a config where to set the color. I guess it might have to do with the drivers, maybe ???Actually, the Xerox printer is not on a PC, it is just connected to the router on a RJ45 port.:p

Reaction score
There is no preset.
All the Printer Drivers have Presets.
Click Print, set the settings and from the Presets menu choose Save Current Setting as Preset.

We do this all the time.

You can't install 2 drivers to the same printer.

Reaction score
All the Printer Drivers have Presets.
Click Print, set the settings and from the Presets menu choose Save Current Setting as Preset.

We do this all the time.

You can't install 2 drivers to the same printer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Kaveman, I configured the presets and it works fine.

Ask a Question