Printer issue since last software update

Reaction score
I'm using a MacBook Pro Retina mid 2012 and OS X 10.8.4. I've been happily printing via my Epson Stylus Photo PX710W for a couple of years until the latest software update from Apple which included some printer driver updates. I now can't print either wirelessly or via USB. This is the beginning of the error message (in case anyone can penetrate this stuff):

Process: rastertoescpII [992]
Path: /Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/Filter/rastertoescpII.app/Contents/MacOS/rastertoescpII
Identifier: rastertoescpII
Version: 9.14 (9.14)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: cupsd [243]
User ID: 26
Date/Time: 2013-08-14 19:14:06.424 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)
Report Version: 10
Anonymous UUID: 9D14AABC-1057-3926-7133-A36B4C87980F
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

Any suggestions for what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Good, try this.
Minus Out the Printer, Restart the Mac with the S key held down.
Restart the Mac
Plus the printer back in.
Run Disk Utility and repair permissions.
Log back into your normal Standard Account
Test Print

Reaction score
Good, try this.
Minus Out the Printer, Restart the Mac with the S key held down.
Restart the Mac
Plus the printer back in.
Run Disk Utility and repair permissions.
Log back into your normal Standard Account
Test Print
I couldn't get that to work. I did have to google what 'run disk utility and repair permissions' meant (just so you understand my level of (non) expertise). But I worked out what I needed to do. There were a lot of permissions to repair but it hasn't solved my printer problem - I'm still getting the same error message.
Can I just check - do I restart the Mac twice at the beginning, first with the S key held down and then restart it again?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Try opening the Print & Scan preference pane and Control-click in the area that the printers are listed. Select Reset printing system... and click OK. The, restart the Mac and add the printer.

C

Reaction score
Yes, Restart with the S key held down, clears all the caches in Safe Mode and then Restart in normal mode.

Reaction score
Try opening the Print & Scan preference pane and Control-click in the area that the printers are listed. Select Reset printing system... and click OK. The, restart the Mac and add the printer.

C
Thanks Cory, unfortunately it didn't work. I'm still getting the error message 'rastertoescpll quit unexpectedly' and in the printer queue it says filtered failed.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Not a problem. Let us know if you are still having the issue upon your return.

C

Reaction score
I'm using a MacBook Pro Retina mid 2012 and OS X 10.8.4. I've been happily printing via my Epson Stylus Photo PX710W for a couple of years until the latest software update from Apple which included some printer driver updates. I now can't print either wirelessly or via USB. This is the beginning of the error message (in case anyone can penetrate this stuff):

Process: rastertoescpII [992]
Path: /Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/Filter/rastertoescpII.app/Contents/MacOS/rastertoescpII
Identifier: rastertoescpII
Version: 9.14 (9.14)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: cupsd [243]
User ID: 26
Date/Time: 2013-08-14 19:14:06.424 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)
Report Version: 10
Anonymous UUID: 9D14AABC-1057-3926-7133-A36B4C87980F
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

Any suggestions for what to do next would be greatly appreciated.
Go to system preferences, click on share folder(in the middle of page), give your computer a name and the printer should work.

Reaction score
Go to system preferences, click on share folder(in the middle of page), give your computer a name and the printer should work.

Good advice, thanks, that helped me

ps.
Если у вас появилась аналогичная ошибка, зайдите в Системные Настройки, раздел Принтеры и факсы, далее поставьте галочку Открыть принтер для общего доступа в сети и введите имя своего компа. Удачи

Reaction score
Many thanks Alice. I tried that and it didn't work but then I saw the suggestion pasted below in discussions.apple.com. The only difference to your solution is that a specific name is suggested for the computer. This seems to have made the difference as I can now print after many hours of frustration and trying different solutions. It remains to be seen whether this solution sticks!

https://discussions.apple.com/message/22911761#22911761
Linc Davis
This solved my questionRe: Updated the driver for my Epson Artisan 710 printer and now it won't print.
Sep 6, 2013 4:14 PM (in response to Frameguy)
Open the Sharing pane in System Preferences. If the Computer Name is not set, enter a name. You may first have to click the lock icon in the lower left corner and authenticate to unlock the settings. According to one report, the name must be set to "machd" (without the quotes) in order to get the printer working. After that, you may be able to change the name.
Credit for this solution to ASC user Yuengdog1983.

Ask a Question