Preview text boxes not working properly

Reaction score
Hello,
I am using MacPro Retina 13 inch, manufactured in late 2012 on OS 10.10.3 with Version 8.0 (859.21) of Preview. The text boxes on my preview pdf document come up like this. And rotating wouldn't help, the text boxes rotate WITH the page. Any idea how to fix this without retyping all the notes? :(

11187348_10155622377510165_7262660636964959162_o.jpg

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I have heard of this issue before, but I haven't found a solution to date. Most reports state that the annotations rotate 90° when the PDF is opened again.

A couple of workarounds that may help for future documents:

-Open the PDF, then immediately close it before you make any annotations. The open it again and they should stay in the correct orientation.
-Some have reported that documents downloaded from DropBox have this issue frequently and that you should quit DropBox before opening the PDF. Not sure I buy this one, but I figured I would include it.

Unfortunately I don't know of a solution to fix your current document however.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply :)

Yea I kind of figured out I can just put in one text box, save then close it. Open the file again and it would be messed up. Delete that messed up text box and create a new one, then it should stay normal for the rest of the document.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply :)

Yea I kind of figured out I can just put in one text box, save then close it. Open the file again and it would be messed up. Delete that messed up text box and create a new one, then it should stay normal for the rest of the document.

Next time you have a fresh PDF, save it first then close it un-annotated.

Open it up & perform the necessary annotations & save then close it.

*Hopefully* next time you open the pdf the annotations should have the correct orientation.

ALSO ….

Try annotating then File ~> Export ~> Save

OR ….

Open the PDF then File ~> Export ~> Save … then open it up & annotate then save.

Not perfect solutions but we can only try, can't we!

Ask a Question