Preferences won't accept Yahoo password

Reaction score
When using Notes and sometimes other apps like Mail, a message saying enter password for Yahoo comes up. I have no trouble signing into Yahoo web site, but cannot sign in to Yahoo in my computer Preerences for internet accounts.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
This happened to me the other night ... System Preferences suddenly alerted me (Sierra 10.12) that I needed to log into a couple of places in Sys Prefs~>Internet Accounts. Like your scenario the passwords were rejected despite working on the actual websites in question. I removed the accounts in Sys Prefs, logged out then back in & the issue seemed to resolve itself & the passwords were accepted.

At the same time as the issue presented, I received an email from iCloud regarding the following link.

This is a reminder that beginning on June 15, app-specific passwords will be required to access your iCloud data using third‑party apps such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, or other mail, contacts, and calendar services not provided by Apple.

If you are already signed in to a third‑party app using your primary Apple ID password, you will be signed out automatically when this change takes effect. You will need to generate an app-specific password and sign in again.

To generate an app-specific password, turn on two-factor authentication for your Apple ID and then follow the instructions below:

• Sign in to your Apple ID account page (https://appleid.apple.com)
• Go to App-Specific Passwords under Security
• Click Generate Password

For more information, read Using App-Specific Passwords. If you need additional help, visit Apple Support.

Apple Support

Using app-specific passwords

This may or may not be the issue you are having but try what I suggested as it worked in my case.

Reaction score
This happened to me the other night ... System Preferences suddenly alerted me (Sierra 10.12) that I needed to log into a couple of places in Sys Prefs~>Internet Accounts. Like your scenario the passwords were rejected despite working on the actual websites in question. I removed the accounts in Sys Prefs, logged out then back in & the issue seemed to resolve itself & the passwords were accepted.

At the same time as the issue presented, I received an email from iCloud regarding the following link.

Using app-specific passwords

This may or may not be the issue you are having but try what I suggested as it worked in my case.

Reaction score
Thank you. If you delete the account how then do you sign back in? Did you log out of your computer and back in?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I deleted the accounts from System Prefs, logged out of my account then back in, then went back to System Prefs & added the accounts back in & the passwords were accepted & I was able to sign into those accounts again.

Ask a Question