powerbookg3

Reaction score
I was given an old '98 powerbook and we've tried to connect to the internet explorer with a dsl cable (at my daughters) and the explorer comes up for a few seconds then disconnects. We've tried 2 different connection lines but it still disconnects. I took it to the Apple Store and had the software upgraded to 9.2.2 and it worked fine there. My daughter has her pc and a laptop connected at her house but mine just won't hold the connection there. Can you tell me what might be the problem?:confused:

Also the powerbook freezes up when I try to use the floppy disk drive or the zip drive. :(

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

How are you connecting to the Internet there...via Ethernet I assume. Do they have a router in place after the cable modem?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

How are you connecting to the Internet there...via Ethernet I assume. Do they have a router in place after the cable modem?

C
Thanks for the interest Cory. Yeah it's via ethernet and
I think so - her router has 4 plug-ins and only 2 are occupied. I asked her if maybe she needed to pay more to have 3 systems hooked up to the server but she said no.
She's on Verizon.

Reaction score
then its most likley the hardware firewall in the router

thanks bluekat. I sent your reply to my daughter :) I hope she doesn't start yellin' at me again.:(
icon9.gif

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It could also be that the Mac isn't setup correctly for TCP/IP using DHCP.

C

Reaction score
thats also possible but she said that it worked fine in the applestore there for i am assuming the tcp is configured correctly and that its the firewall in the router causing problems

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You could try hooking it up to one of the functioning ports that the other computers are currently using and see if that works.

Reaction score
You could try hooking it up to one of the functioning ports that the other computers are currently using and see if that works.
:eek:I suggested that to her but that's when she became overwrought and yelled at me - I guess her kindness had expired. She has already accepted the Mac thru the firewall - it just keeps switching back to an old IP. BUT it didn't do that at the Apple Store. I can only assume it's her router and either get a wireless card for it or find someone else with dsl I can hook up to when I need to.

Sheila

Reaction score
:eek:
:eek:I suggested that to her but that's when she became overwrought and yelled at me - I guess her kindness had expired. She has already accepted the Mac thru the firewall - it just keeps switching back to an old IP. BUT it didn't do that at the Apple Store. I can only assume it's her router and either get a wireless card for it or find someone else with dsl I can hook up to when I need to.

Sheila
:eek: But I forgot to put the verizon software on!!:eek:

Reaction score
So is it working now ?

regards

Ric

No!!!! That version of verizon won't work.

I don't know what to do - except maybe request a different version from verizon. I only have a part time job at the moment so I can't afford something more expensive.