Polling/checking USB ports

Reaction score
Is there any way within Finder to force the OS to poll (check) USB and other ports for attached devices? Or is there a way of doing this in the Terminal?

Fairly frequently Finder will not show a memory card inserted in a USB-attached card reader. I have to physically eject the card and reinsert it, and sometimes unplug the reader and plug it back in. This has occurred with more than one MacBook Pro, several versions of macOS, and more than one card reader.

This is not a matter of Finder itself not updating the screen. Physically ejecting the card does not elicit any complaint from the OS, as it would if the card had been noticed.

Myron

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

In my experience, that issue is normally caused by an issue with the memory card and/or card reader, especially if it only happens with memory cards and/or the card reader. Since it has happened on multiple Macs/macOS versions/card readers, it will make it much more difficult to track down the cause.

I don't know of a command to force refresh connected devices.

C

Ask a Question