PMSet - out of control; launches, relaunches; Monterey Current - can't figure out how to diagnose

Reaction score
MBP late 2018. i9 + eGPU.Monterey, 12.3.1

I'm stumped here. PMset (power management) is off the charts for the last 3+ months.

At random times (and OFTEN) it's running at 90%+ of the CPU. It'll launch, run high, terminate and relaunch.

I've removed everything, did an SMC and the PRAM resets.

Then into Recovery mode, disk utility and did a "First Aid" on the SSD, Container and Data sections.

I'm stumped here. It seems to be launching, hitting faults, quitting and relaunching.

Any ideas?Advice?

What I want to avoid is the wiping of the OS back to scratch.

Is there a way via the Console or Activity monitor can I can get some insight on what is causing this problem? TIA

Reaction score
MBP late 2018. i9 + eGPU.Monterey, 12.3.1

I'm stumped here. PMset (power management) is off the charts for the last 3+ months.

At random times (and OFTEN) it's running at 90%+ of the CPU. It'll launch, run high, terminate and relaunch.

I've removed everything, did an SMC and the PRAM resets.

Then into Recovery mode, disk utility and did a "First Aid" on the SSD, Container and Data sections.

I'm stumped here. It seems to be launching, hitting faults, quitting and relaunching.

Any ideas?Advice?

What I want to avoid is the wiping of the OS back to scratch.

Is there a way via the Console or Activity monitor can I can get some insight on what is causing this problem? TIA
Did you change any of the settings in PMSET? Have you tried restoring the settings to default? I believe the command is:

pmset restoredefaults

Ask a Question