Please Help Me Recover iMessage Backups

Discussion in 'iPod, iPhone & iPad' started by MisshAP, Jan 24, 2016.

1. MisshAP

MisshAP New Member

I don't know if it is possible, but I would really like to restore my iMessages from an old iPhone backup. Here is the situation: I used to backup my iPhone to iTunes. My MacBook Pro was older and it eventually gave out on me (ok, I spilled something on the keyboard, and keys got sticky and it was 8 years old and slowing down, so anyways, I pulled the hard drive out of it, put it in an external case, and sold the "shell" on eBay). I didn't have the money to replace it with a new Mac until now (Christmas gift to myself). Since this happened, I've upgraded my iPhone. I knew I would lose my iMessages, but I had to get a new phone.

Now that I have a new computer, I'm really wanting to know if I can take the hard drive I pulled out of my Macbook and extract those iMessage files from the old backups. I have been looking online for a way to do this all night. I will read things that make it seem possible, but once I have downloaded the app it says to (onto my new computer, not onto my phone), it's not doing what I need it to do... I think I've found the files on my hard drive, but the apps I'm trying (i.e. iSkysoft) aren't recognizing them as viable. I don't know if I'm close but not quite doing it right, or if I'm way off base and what I want is actually not possible. Please help!

Thank you so much in advance!!

MisshAP, Jan 24, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. MisshAP

Cory Cooper Moderator

Hello and welcome.

You may be able to so with the help of third-partty software, but I am not very familiar with those types of data recovery apps. I would suggest contacting the software developers of the apps you are trying to see of the can give you any guidance.

C

Cory Cooper, Jan 24, 2016
    1. Advertisements

3. MisshAP

linneacd New Member

in such a case, it's really hard to recover the files. Did you back them up in icloud?

linneacd, Mar 4, 2016
    1. Advertisements