Please help! Macbook Randomly Turning Off!!

Reaction score
Hello,

I joined this forum because I really, really need help with my Macbook Pro. My biggest fear is my laptop dying or anything going wrong with it, because I rely so heavily upon it and I don't have the money to take it to the Genius Bar.

Sometime last week, my Macbook pro had a "kernel panic". Which I looked up and apparently wasn't too bad of an issue, it was just scary that the screen grayed out and it said I needed to shut it down. I don't know if this is involved with my current problem, but I figure I should include it for information. (Also, I run OS Snow Leopard, and my laptop was purchased in September of 2010.)

Today I was just browsing on Wikipedia and all of a sudden, the laptop just tuned off. No warning, just black screen. I had my charger plugged in and even the light on the charger went off. I tried turning it back on, but it was completely unresponsive. Then I started to freak out, big time. I closed the laptop and prayed to every god that I could think of, opened it again, and tried to turn it on. It turned back on, much to my relief. But the charger light didn't turn back on, and still hasn't. Also, when I logged in, I received a warning that my clock was set to before 2002 or something and that might make some applications act funny. My clock was completely normal beforehand, but when I looked after the crash, it was set to December, 2000! I've been trying to troubleshoot it myself online but I'm having trouble finding answers.

PLEASE help!

Reaction score
Okay, I know nobody responded yet, but I continued searching after posting this. One forum suggested that I reset both the PRAM and the SMC, which I did. I don't know if this fixed the issue. Everything seems to be running okay but I guess I won't be able to tell until it either crashes again or has another kernel panic... Or doesn't.
Also, even after resetting the PRAM and SMC the charger was still non-responsive... So I tried unplugging the extension wire from the charger box itself and re-inserting it, and that worked. So right now I'm okay, but if anyone knows any more information on the problem, please let me know.

Reaction score
Well, I guess I know my answer. My laptop just did the EXACT same thing.
So anyone with any information or ideas would be really helpful right now....

Also, the charger turned off again... I tried unplugging and plugging it back in again but it's not working. I might have to wait a little bit longer but... I'm really at a loss right now.

Reaction score
I sounds like a hardware problem take it to an AppleCare Service centre near you.

Ask a Question