Please help!!! Keynote/Quicktime Issues...

Reaction score
Hope someone can help me...

I designed a beautiful presentation in Keynote for my business. I even added audio to it from one of those royalty free music sites.

The slideshow plays flawlessly within Keynote - no problems. However, I wanted to upload my presentation to a video hosting website so I can provide my clients with a link to view the video. Well...

The first time I tried uploading to the video sharing site, my video played PERFECT - no issues. However, the video looked very compressed & ugly. So, I played around with the settings a bit. Still no change. Finally...

I decided to export my quicktime movie as "Full Quality" versus "CD Quality" that I was using in previous attempts. I uploaded the video file again and PRESTO, looked clear as a Summer's day. Only problem is, now my audio is missing :( The slideshow plays alright, but, no hint of sound. Nada.

Again, if I open up the original file in Keynote and play it, no issues. Only when I upload it to the video sharing site am I losing the sound. Why did the audio work in my earlier attempts, but no longer?

Anyone have a clue? This is a work project, and I've been trying to remedy this all day long. Appreciate your help in advance!

Reaction score
Compression can be a dark art and much can go wrong.

Lets start by finding out if its the upload or the file thats the problem. On the Mac before you upload the file, open it with QuickTime Player does it have sound?

Reaction score
Compression can be a dark art and much can go wrong.

Lets start by finding out if its the upload or the file thats the problem. On the Mac before you upload the file, open it with QuickTime Player does it have sound?

Great idea, Kaveman ;)

I tried JUST opening the quicktime movie file and no, it does not play both the video AND audio at the same time. I have one file (the slideshow) which plays fine, but, no audio/sound. I have another quicktime file which only plays the audio, however, no slideshow. I then had an idea...

I opened imovie and imported the Keynote slideshow in to see if I could get it to play. Again, no dice. The slideshow played, but no audio. So, it hit me...try syncing the audio file to the video file in imovie on the timeline. I did that and it replayed fine. Both audio AND video :) I then saved the project and closed out of imovie. I opened up JUST the quicktime file again, and it played great. However, the file was HUGE - 549 MB. So, I'm repeating the process again and simply exporting as "CD Quality".

Thanks for the tip again, Kaveman. Your idea sparked a great workaround ;)

Reaction score
great, don't use iMoves Share options otherwise you will be right back with a sad compression. You'll need to go via the Export option and tinker with the advanced settings.

Reaction score
great, don't use iMoves Share options otherwise you will be right back with a sad compression. You'll need to go via the Export option and tinker with the advanced settings.

HA!!! I was so excited after posting my last response, I exported through quicktime in imovie using the "CD Quality" setting. When I uploaded it back to my sharing site, it looked like it was from 1939 it was so degraded.

I then came back on here and saw your message, Kaveman. When a man is right, a man is right ;)

So, are you saying just to save it in imovie and then try and export it directly once I open the quicktime file myself?

Please explain step by step - like you were trying to teach a baboon arithmetic - One...Two...Three...:D

Hope you can help me out of this one, Kaveman, I'd really like to get some sleep tonight.

Reaction score
You need to go through Share > Export using Quicktime and then click in Options, this is where the black arts come in.

Keynote video is large and your source is large, you have to find the right balance with size and quality, AND what the sharing site will allow. Sorry no simple One Two Three.

I do it 720 and see how that goes, but full HD or more will result in a large file.

Reaction score
Hey MacNewb,

So by now you are probably thinking, "Thanks for the worthless advise everyone...:confused:" But your problem seems more confusing than how the other people are posting make it seem to be, right. I worked my butt off to figure out how to get the best possible video quality out of keynote. I wrote an extensive article on our blog about this, check it out and let me know if it helps.

Before you head over there I will just say that sometimes my biggest problem was thinking Keynote was timing out and being "Non Responsive." Just WAIT, the progress bar does not give an accurate idea of how long it will take to export.

Good Luck!
Ben

http://www.wordwizardsinc.com/keyno...export-animations-to-video-with-full-quality/

Ask a Question