Pixelated Copy/Paste Images

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Macbook Pro Retina with the 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 and have OSX 10.9.3.

Ever since the first day I had this mac, I've had an issue with images that I didn't have on the couple-year-old Macbook Pro I replaced.

Just to explain the issue, here are the exact steps that I'm taking:

1. I take a screenshot using the Command+Shift+3 command and it saves the image on my desktop.

2. When I open the image with Preview, then highlight a section that I intend to make it's own image, when I hit Command+C, then Command+N, the resulting image that pops up is much larger visually than the original screenshot that I took.

The result is that the new image is heavily pixelated. I haven't been able to figure out why the result of what I'm telling it to copy gets stretched so much when I want to make a new image out of it.

Any ideas? This is killing my ability to do simple graphics things. Thx

Reaction score
Hi,

When I open the image with Preview, then highlight a section that I intend to make it's own image, when I hit Command+C, then Command+N, the resulting image that pops up is much larger visually than the original screenshot that I took.
The larger image is normal as you have reduced the original, and there is no way to crop an image and not loose the pixels you crop off. It's not a matter of technology it is a matter of logic, you could resample the image but this process will create pixels by interpolation and will cure the pixilation problem but resampling does NOT create more information so the overall effect is to blur.

1) As a test try this grab an image of your desktop.
2) Double click the saved desktop image and open in Preview
3) Then crop and save. (But use Previews menu tools crop) Not Command+C, then Command+N,

Do you still get the heavily pixelated result?
If the result looks good then it is the originals that are the problem, as cropping any image nicely will depend on the originals quality, IE many newspapers and magazines etc now print reduced low quality images that do exactly as you describe when cropped.

Other option as this is a new Mac book a GB appointment at your nearest Apple store and get there tech`s to look at it.

Reaction score
Thank you for the tip. By using Command+K (crop) instead of the traditional Command+C, then N - it appears to be cropping the image the way that I'm wanting it to do. I don't think it's a fix, but it's a work around. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hi,

Your most welcome.
I don't think it's a fix, but it's a work around.
I have always used previews menu option - tools and never had issues:) Re cropping.

Ask a Question