SOLVED Photos

Reaction score
Although Photos has been sitting on my current iMac and previous iMac's for several years I have not used it preferring the much missed Aperture 3 and other apps. I have a new iMac running Catalina and have been looking at using Photos as I only have Aperture 3.6 on an older MacBook Pro that supports it.

When images are placed in Imports and then are deleted they stay in Recently Deleted for a limited time and then are permanently deleted which is fine.
But if you have an image you want to keep and have saved it to an Album and then deleted it in Imports so it goes to Recently Deleted what happens to the same image that you have saved to Albums once it is permanently deleted from Recently Deleted. Does it remain in Albums or do you loose it?
If you loose it how do you avoid that happening?
Thanks

Reaction score
When you delete a picture from the Photos Library, Recents and Imports, it is deleted from any associated Albums at the same time and, as you say, placed in the Recently Deleted tab.

Once it is permanently deleted(after 30 days) it is gone for good.

When you delete from an Album, it is only deleted from THAT Album and nowhere else, and does not appear in Recently Deleted.

Reaction score
It sounds like you are saying that an image placed in an Album will be lost if the same image is deleted from imports
So what is the correct way to build up a set of images in Albums? Are you meant to leave those images in an ever increasing list of images in Imports as well

Reaction score
It sounds like you are saying that an image placed in an Album will be lost if the same image is deleted from imports
Basically, yes. Much the same as in Music. You import a song and put it in a Playlist. You can delete it from the Playlist, but it's still in the main Library. Delete it from there and it goes from any Playlist that it's in.

So what is the correct way to build up a set of images in Albums?
There is no correct way. You make up Albums as you choose. Here is a small example of my Albums:
Screenshot 2022-06-22 at 20.56.15.png

Are you meant to leave those images in an ever increasing list of images in Imports as well
Yes. However, you are not duplicating photos by placing them in Albums. The photos in Albums are just links to the main photo in your Library.

Ask a Question