Photos

Reaction score
Is it possible to remove all my photos from my Mac to a thumb drive without exporting as a picture library file? I would just like my photos the old fashioned way so I can show them on any pc or Mac. Couldn't find anyway to do it on Catalina and I was hoping by upgrading to Big Sur it would, but I can't find a way. Cheers

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

In the Photos app:
-Click Photos in the left sidebar
-Click Edit > Select All in the menu bar
-Click File > Export > Export "xxx" Items... or Export Unmodified Original For xxx Items...in the menu bar
-Click Export
-Choose where you want to export them to (your USB drive) then click Export Originals

See if that works for you.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I will give it a go tomorrow. So the unmodified original would be a larger file? Not that it is a problem

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Yes, the unmodified original is the original file when it was added to Photos. You can export with other options, by choosing the other Export function, and it will also export an revised/edited version with a number of format and other controls.

Let us know how it goes.

C

Reaction score
Yes it worked great thanks, now all I need to do is find a good free app to use as a viewer, any recommendations or ideas? Before I delete the photos from the Mac though is there a way to export as a library so I could if necessary still use my Mac to view the exported photos?
I have had th Mac for about 2 years now but have never delved into anything like this before. Really appreciate help. Thanks

Ask a Question