SOLVED Photos not scanning people in Monterey OS 12.1

Reaction score
Since the upgrade to Monterey OS - my Photos has not scanned/processed any face recognition. Regardless of all the forum advice, I continue to get the message "0 Photos Scanned - Photos will continue scanning your remaining 70,524 photos when you're not using the app and your Mac is connected to power."

I am running Monterey OS 12.1. I have turned off the power saving feature. I have both quit Photos and left it running overnight - and had Photos open-but minimized and left running overnight. Nothing happens. I have also gone to Activity Monitor - searched for photoanalysisd and force quit that - and repeated leaving things over night. No progress.

Any other ideas? This is on a iMac Pro.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry, but I don't have much experience with that feature in Photos, as I don't have many photos in my Photos Library. Hopefully another member with experience will chime in.

Good to have you here,

C

Reaction score
I’ve got Monterey on both my Macs and a decent photo collection albeit not that large - I’ll take a look and see if mine is doing the facial recognition and report back.

Reaction score
I’ve got Monterey on both my Macs and a decent photo collection albeit not that large - I’ll take a look and see if mine is doing the facial recognition and report back.
Thanks! This has been very frustrating...

Reaction score
Sorry, but photoanalysisd is running on both my Mini and MacBook Pro, both running Monterey 12.1. Photos shows "updating people..." and says it will continue if photos is in the background.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear. I only have about 5k photos so maybe it is the size of your library? Maybe it will just take longer? I don't know how computationally intensive facial recognition is so don't how long it should take. It's not a feature I use often.

Reaction score
Sorry, but photoanalysisd is running on both my Mini and MacBook Pro, both running Monterey 12.1. Photos shows "updating people..." and says it will continue if photos is in the background.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear. I only have about 5k photos so maybe it is the size of your library? Maybe it will just take longer? I don't know how computationally intensive facial recognition is so don't how long it should take. It's not a feature I use often.
Thanks for the input. I've been waiting for several weeks - and the status hasn't changed at all. Maybe I'm just stuck...

Reaction score
Reaction score
interesting - I have never had a photo library in iCloud, with the exception of back ups. I've always ran mine locally. I would venture to guess that is the issue but can't say for sure. You can always copy it locally and set up Photos to point to that one instead I suppose. Make sure you have a back up first...

Reaction score
interesting - I have never had a photo library in iCloud, with the exception of back ups. I've always ran mine locally. I would venture to guess that is the issue but can't say for sure. You can always copy it locally and set up Photos to point to that one instead I suppose. Make sure you have a back up first...
Totally misspoke. I just double checked. Looks like when I got the new iMac Pro this summer - I did NOT create the Photos library in iCloud. It is residing totally on my iMac hard drive.

Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, work has been busy. I have been googling on this issue with photoanalysisd and it appears quite a few people had this issue with Big Sur. I have not found a solution yet and not sure even what the problem could be. there doesn't seem to be a common thread amongst the people having issues. Of course there are probably radical solutions like backing up, erasing the disk and reinstalling fresh but that seems a bit extreme for this case if you have no other issues.

I'll keep poking around and see if I can come up with anything.

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, work has been busy. I have been googling on this issue with photoanalysisd and it appears quite a few people had this issue with Big Sur. I have not found a solution yet and not sure even what the problem could be. there doesn't seem to be a common thread amongst the people having issues. Of course there are probably radical solutions like backing up, erasing the disk and reinstalling fresh but that seems a bit extreme for this case if you have no other issues.

I'll keep poking around and see if I can come up with anything.
Thank you! I've been googling, too - but it's great to have another set of eyes on this. Appreciate the help!

Reaction score
This is a weird fix. My whole iMac froze yesterday. I did a hard reset twice - and it still had issues. Finally turned it off and unplugged it for about 20 minutes. Everything came back fine - and upon checking this morning... almost ALL the 70,000+ pictures have been scanned! Who knows what the deal was - but it seems to be fixed. Gotta love those random/unknown fixes.

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same issue. MacBook Air though, w/ Monterey 12.1 also. Hasn't frozen yet, so mine is still stuck - at 9570 photos. Did you have Photos open when it froze and reset? This is extremely frustrating as I've also tried closing, opening, minimizing to see if one works. It's been a couple of months now of no luck!

Reaction score
This is a weird fix. My whole iMac froze yesterday. I did a hard reset twice - and it still had issues. Finally turned it off and unplugged it for about 20 minutes. Everything came back fine - and upon checking this morning... almost ALL the 70,000+ pictures have been scanned! Who knows what the deal was - but it seems to be fixed. Gotta love those random/unknown fixes.
I'm having the same issue but I could not get that to work. My computer froze also. On the phone with Apple 15 times in over 40 hours trying to resolve it without wiping the whole system clean because I don't know when it started getting slow and I didn't want to use time machine back up if the problem was going to come back again. So I finally did it. Wipe the whole thing clean and put little things back on at a time and my computer is froze when I started downloading things off of the iCloud. It's been four days and still my photos face recognition is not working just like yours did. I guess I'll keep waiting and trying.

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue but I could not get that to work. My computer froze also. On the phone with Apple 15 times in over 40 hours trying to resolve it without wiping the whole system clean because I don't know when it started getting slow and I didn't want to use time machine back up if the problem was going to come back again. So I finally did it. Wipe the whole thing clean and put little things back on at a time and my computer is froze when I started downloading things off of the iCloud. It's been four days and still my photos face recognition is not working just like yours did. I guess I'll keep waiting and trying.
Does Your issue is solved, same issue is happening in my mac

Reaction score

It is not solved. In fact, my iPhone 13 max pro is overheating and the battery is going dead after only 3 hours of use. Guess what the most usage is running in the back ground… Photos. I have a Mac appointment this next weekend. I’m 3 hours away from an Apple store so I hope what ever it is works.

Ask a Question