Photos and Preview: Same shot has wildly different sizes in each app

Reaction score
Hello. I have this not-too-shabby picture of impalas drinking from a lake. I took it with a Nikon D5300. In Photos on my Mac it's shown as being 7.6 MB. But when I drag it to the desktop and open it in Preview, it's shown as being just 256 KB.

I was planning to use the shot in a photo album, but the app I'm using for that (Photobox) tells me the quality is too poor. Which obviously is true if it's just 256 KB. So what's going on here, exactly? Why is this particular photo being reformatted just as a result of me dragging it to the desktop? Others aren't affected in the same way. Here's the pic.
DSC_0336.jpg

Any explanations or, even better, suggestions of how to get around this would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Instead of dragging the photo from Photos to the Desktop, try selecting the photo and using the File > Export function in Photos using Unmodified Original.

See if that gives you the file as you want it.

C

Ask a Question