Photo problems with Big Sur

Reaction score
I have just transferred my photo library from an iMac running El Capitan to an external hard drive. On my new mac mini I have designated this the default photo store. However when I try to open the photos I get grey folders correctly dated but they don't contain any pics. Is there some incompatability problem between Photos app on Big Sur and my transferred files from el Capitan. Any help appreciated, I can't find anything web-wise to explain this.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Was it an iPhoto or Photos Library on the iMac?
-Did you copy the entire iPhoto/Photos Library file from the Pictures folder to the external?
-Did you hold the Option key when launching Photos to select the library on the external, and did it perform an upgrade of the library?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory, Yes I copied entire library that contained iphoto folders (until 2015) and the photos folders subsequently. On checking I find the ghost folders are all iphoto judging by the dates. None of the subsequent folders have been detected. Just to check I reconnected the external drive to my imac to check library but received: UNSUPPORTED LIBRARY - this library is from a new version of Photos, please upgrade photos to open!
I guess the iphoto folders are causing the problem?

Ask a Question