PB or not PB...that's not quite the question

Reaction score
I already know I want a PB (15.2" screen). The question is, what, if any upgrades should I consider for the following usage? All advice welcome.

A bit of background. I grew up with Macs (my dad is a devotee), but as a professional, I've adapted to a PC world and it's been a while since I used a Mac. We have a PC desktop at home with broadband, burner, wireless mouse, etc.

I want my Apple PB to allow me to do the following:

Newsletter production using Quark Express
Minor image manipulation using Adobe Photoshop CS
PDF creation using Adobe Acrobat
Screenwriting with Final Draft
Office-suite type work that I can easily share with my work computer and my PC-dependent colleagues
General life management
iTunes
Maybe watch DVDs on the computer, but not too likely.

I expect this to be portable vs. docked. I hope to be writing comfortably ensconced upon the couch in my jammies with a hot cup of tea and a plate of TimTams.

I expect that I'll want to have fast wireless access outside of home and office, if possible.
I'm not great with tracking devices on laptop, am quite reliant on the two-button mouse. Is the two-button mouse a must have or is it easy to adapt to a one-button mouse? I'm used to the wireless mouse at home, is it useful with a PB? I do not really need the SuperDrive, as we have that capability on the desktop PC and it's really something my husband does, not me.

We're a one-car family, so I often find myself on public transportation. Is a second battery useful? Tips on a good but light carrying case? Is it easy to hook up to a broadband network that's been created with our desktop?

I'm not sure if I'm asking the right questions, but anybody's thoughts on minimum needs in terms of upgrades and accessories would be valuable.

Also -- how do people feel about AppleCare?

Thanks in advance,
AA

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

My recommendations based on your uses/requirements:

1. Apple PowerBook 1.67GHz SuperDrive

? 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM
? 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
? 8x SuperDrive (DVD?RW/CD-RW)
? 1.67GHz PowerPC G4 w/64MB VRAM
? AirPort Extreme Card
? Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
? ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
? 15.2-inch TFT Display

2. Options to add/keep

? Go to at least 1GB RAM no matter what, 2GB if you can afford it
? Go to 100GB HD
? Go to 128MB VRAM if you can afford it
? Stick with the SuperDrive

3. Pick any mouse that you like

4. A second battery is very useful...especially with what your use is listed as

5. No idea about cases...I use TUMI cases for my laptops

6. AppleCare - A MUST!!! Can't stress that enough! Especially with PowerBooks.

Cory

Ric

Reaction score
Hi aeamratlal, and welcome !

Nearly bought one myself the other day but there was non in stock so ended up with the 17" PB.

Your requirements:

Quark, no problems what so ever up and running on mine, nice and fast !

Photoshop, again running on mine, for 'heavy' manipulation, works fine, worked okay with the initial 512mb of RAM, but works better with the extra 1GB that I added last night.

PDF creation, again exactly what you would expect nice and fast.

Screenwriting, with Final Draft....7.1 works fine with Tiger. Have downloaded the demo everything seems fine, nice an quick !

Microsoft Office, Think Free Office, etc all work very well, you would have to expect the usual cross platform issues...fonts slightly reflowing etc depending on wht you use/do.

General life management...iCal included ! Need I as say more !

iTunes, written for a Mac, works great !

Haven't 'watched a DVD yet...will have a look tonight, wouldn't imagine any problems except eating the battery...I always managed to be able to watch the full film, before battery running out on my old PB. You can play the DVD's on the Mac and connect it up to your TV and view them on there if you want !

As for the couch...the 15.2 is ideal, the 12" is also good the 17 " is a little bit cumbersome. Try and use the PB without the AC adapter when on your lap/couch as they can get quite warm.

To get the best out of your battery, charge it up, then keep using the PB untill there is no battery left, then charge it, if possible don't charge it when it's half full.

Carefullwith the Tea, PB's aren't to keen on liquid, I know !

Tim Tams, I have no idea what these are ? Are they like Jammy Dodgers !!!

The PB's come with wireless cards built in 802.11 b and g compatible, fast as you need ! Also has Bluetooth, for connecting to mobile phones, cordless mice, keyboards etc. I have the Apple wirelees Mouse (Bluetooth), works very well !

The Trackpad, is a matter of taste, once you get used to it, it can be quite quick, I can still do a lot of things better with a mouse though. The new PB's have a special trackpad that allows 'two' finger scrolling, instead of moving the cursor over to the scroll bars you just drag two fingers across the trackpad, works in both directions, it's very good !

You can pick any two button mouse, it should just work ! My HP 2 button scroll wheel mouse USB, can be unplugged from my PC and plugged into PB and just works no drivers setup required. Mac users have always 'control' clicked to access the same functions that Windows use the second button for, it's just what you're used to.

I like my Wireless mouse, just makes life easier, and it looks very good !

The SuperDrive is very nice, I have multiple DVD/CD burners, but having the SuperDrive makes life easier. I do lots of Video, Photo work, and prefer to be able to just back it up with out having to copy files across the network, or plugging in an external device. If there is a SuperDrive or just the combo drive built in it makes life easier for you to backup, no matter where you are.

If you get the SuperDrive, it would be worth it just to get your Husband 'going', on how easy it is to make movies , DVD slideshows etc, no more Nero !

To burn a CD DVD just make a 'Burn Folder" on your desktop drag in anything you want, stick in a disk and burn it, all built in to the Mac OS, very easy very quick !

Second Battery is always usefull depending on the length of your journay, especially if you need to get work done before getting into the office, "sorry my battery went flat ! , I didn't finish..."

Especially if you are part way through a movie, quite nice in-car entertainment for a long car journey, for the passenger's.

Case wise I haven't got myself a proper case for this one yet, just a "Second Skin" which is like a neoprane sleeve, I'll be having a look myself but my choice is a bit more limited, 17" !

You can always buy one later though if you need it !

Hooking up to your Broadband Network ,will be easy. If you're not sure of what you're doing, when you're ready let us know your specific equipment and we'll sort it out !

Any of the current PowerBooks, and to some extent the iBooks will do what you require, Cory's spec is spot on .

It's always best to get the 'best' that is currently available, that way it will last you longer, and probably work out cheaper.
I have 'upped' mine myself to 1.5GB Ram, so far it seems enough for me !

Applecare, I personally have never had it. Just had the stock Apple 12 month guarantee ! So I can't really advise on whether it's a good thing or not. You don't have to buy it at the time of purchase, you can but it anytime in the first 12 months.

I (touch wood, this is really tempting fate !) have never had anything go wrong with any of the Mac's I've owned, or that I couldn't fix myself, outside of warranty.

My home insurance cover's accidental damage etc !

Regards

Ric

(Rambled on a bit there,lol)

Reaction score
Thanks, Ric and Cory, for your advice re: my first PB investment. Although I'm probably at least a couple of weeks away from making a purchase, I'm finding it hard to concentrate on my work b/c I'm so excited about the prospect.

This will be the first brand-new computer bought 'just for me'. We always grew up with computers (in the days of the good old TRS-80 and the tape deck drives -- I know I'm dating myself here), but this is a pretty special occasion.

Ric: I think the UK equivalent of a Tim Tam would be the Penguin (my colleague just brought a couple of packages back from her visit home and they're good, but slightly inferior to the Tim Tam, in my humble opinion). Tim Tams are Australian, my birthplace, but occasionally you can buy them here in Canada.

I've of course heard the distressing news coming from London and my thoughts are with UK residents today.

Ric

Reaction score
Yes the news re London is not good, but I think it's always just around the corner in modern society. It is more a matter of when not if. I lived in London, during the IRA troubles and it wasn't nice. That said I come 'here' to get away from the real world...

Without belittling that...

...having a computer bought 'just' for you is a nice feeling. I too, am from the around those days, if not a little before !

I still get/got excited (like a little child at xmas, if you must know!) when i was opening the box for my latest PB, even though I have had every major PB going, even before they were called PowerBook's (the Mac Portable, 3400c...the list goes on I still own most of them, up in the loft !)

I will keep a look out for Tim Tam's, chocolate is more a hobby of my Wife's !

Bet your Husband will want one (yours) !

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
Can't tell you about PB's yet since I'm still saving for mine but as far as bags go, I have a Crumpler bag for my current notebook and it is great. I got it at ebags.com where they seem to have some great prices. The bag is sturdy as heck and doesn't scream "laptop in here!" because it looks like a plain ol' messenger bag.

Scott

Ric

Reaction score
Must have a look for a new case, thanks for the link Scott, off hunting for a wiiiide case.

I quite like the backpacks, cause that gives me hands free to carry all the other junk I'm trying to 'lug about' from the car to a clients office!

I like the idea of non 'screaming' laptop bags ! A bit safer for people.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric said:
Must have a look for a new case, thanks for the link Scott, off hunting for a wiiiide case.

I quite like the backpacks, cause that gives me hands free to carry all the other junk I'm trying to 'lug about' from the car to a clients office!

I like the idea of non 'screaming' laptop bags ! A bit safer for people.

regards

Ric
These may be too 'female', but I saw some great looking bags at http://www.acmemade.com/bags.html -- including some interesting looking screen covers.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi aeamratlal:

They may be 'just' a tad bit to girly for me !

However, Wifey would probably like them, but her iBook, doesn't really go travelling...lounge-kitchen-garden !

PS "Wifey' is a term of endearment, just in case it sounds a bit @£$!?@£ !

...blame Cory it was his joke that started the 'Wifey' thing, and it's just stuck ! Have a look in the jokes forum....

Hi Cory: the Mac Truck !

need I say more, if I needed to do a bit more travelling then that would be the way to go...not that much choice for the 17" PB, I'll end up with some black leather/material Targus thing just because the shops are close by !!!

Only really gets moved from house to car to work...so nothing really heavy duty required !

Will keep on looking !

cheeers

Ric

Some nice stuff on their website though !

Reaction score
Re: Great news! My PB G4 is a go!

After copious amounts of research (I confess, some of it during work time), I am pleased to say that in one week's time I will officially order my very own brand-new PowerBook G4 15.2" screen.

I'm not going for many bells and whistles at this point, mainly b/c my husband (and my dad) are techies who will be able to add RAM etc. for much cheaper than having it custom built. For my purposes, I do not need a DVD burner or extra GBs, and if I do, I'd probably get an external hard-drive for much cheaper (but it is highly unlikely I'll need those features).

I am very excited, I wish I didn't have to wait, but we're off for a week's vacation and we don't want my new baby to arrive while we're gone.

I've appreciated the great advice and information I've received on this site.

I'll check in when my new toy has arrived!

Ric

Reaction score

Have a good Holiday !

I'll try to put together a list of things to try and do when getting your first/new PowerBook !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score

Thought 1)

Always make a copy of the original disks that come with the 'new' computer...use disk utility and create an Image-CDR/DVD master, then place the originals in safe place and keep the 'copies' with the PB.

Thought 2)

Do the Battery Calibration. Then try as best as you can to only ever charge the PB when the battery is flat-ie it tells you to ! This way the Battery will last longer.
If you constantly run the PB off the AC adapter without letting the battery to drain, the battery becomes useless.

Thought 3)

Get yourself a nice case...keep it protected !

Thought 4)

Enjoy it !

Thought 5)

Try not to freak out to much when it gets it's first scratch/mark etc ! (After all, as my Wife says...it's only a computer !..and what was it doing in the kitchen, anyway !)

Reaction score
Yesterday, I officially purchased my PowerBook -- yay! Had a last-minute hiccup when my husband was momentarily distracted by the upgraded iBooks -- and it's an impressive upgrade. But once I had set my heart on a PB, I didn't want to change course.

We went with a basic 15" 80GB, we'll do our own memory upgrade, as it's easy and much cheaper. We didn't get the superdrive (I wanted it, but hubby pointed out -- rightly, I suppose -- that we already have a souped up DVD burner on his desktop. And then my dear old dad stepped in and said were probably okay with the 80GB hard drive based on his experience and his knowledge of my anticipated usage (he's a former newspaper editor turned computer consultant, with primary expertise in the Mac environment) -- if I need more GB, I can plug in an external drive.

We had bought the airport extreme base, but we'll probably return it, since you can get a whatchamacallit that works the same but costs significantly less. I'm thinking about investing in the brand-new mouse -- why didn't they promote it yesterday when I was purchasing my laptop!!!

I also purchased an iPod mini at the same time (6 GB). My husband has one of the larger ones, and it's been a lifesaver for downloading photos on trips, etc, not to mention the music. I wanted something smaller for the office and/or the gym (a free iPod shuffle is coming my way as well, so I'll get to decide which one to use where!).

My big problem now is the wait. My mini has been shipped (from Shanghai, no less), via fedex. My airport extreme has been shipped via "same day right away" (Canadian outfit) which seems to have a mediocre reputation -- it's hard to say who they choose to bring the goods into Canada, so I'm not sure how long the wait will be. But my baby -- the PB itself -- is still in "preparing shipment" mode, and I have no idea when I'll receive it. Patience is NOT one of my virtues.

Can hardly wait to celebrate! Ric, the photos you'd posted of the "opening the box" ceremony are making me salivate. I had to tell hubby that I was the one in charge of box opening. He'll help me set it up, but I don't want him getting his greasy mitts too close -- he might never let go!

I need more advice then: how do I get through the days until my PB arrives???

Ric

Reaction score
Good for you !

I'm no good at waiting, but some times you've just got to. Uk Mac's are sent from Cork, Ireland over to Amsterdam then into the UK distribution in Birmingham...then to you, easier to go to Cork, spend the weekend in Ireland have some good Guiness and bring your Mac Home !!!

Spec sounds great ! Maybe in a few weeks time when Hubby decides he's having 'your' PB you can order a new one with a SuperDrive, certainly makes life easier to back up etc.

Oh well, because Hubby scrimped (he would have had one if it was his PB !) you'll have to let him be in charge of moving the DVD burner off his PC and backing up your files for you ! (His penance.)

At least now you have a wider choice of mice now...now Apple have bought out the "Mighty Mouse", still like my cordless one though !

iPod's coming out of your ears ! Wifey has the 60gb Photo one, I've touched it once, never even listened to it...

There is a few pics of memory upgrade here if Hubby or Father want to look. Just make sure to get good memory, and wear an anti static wristband !

This is the manual for the PB 15" 1.67ghz (PowerBook Manual ), might give you something to do whilst your waiting for delivery. At least, you'll be able to dive right in, cause you've already read the manual !!!

regards

Ric

Reaction score
New Addition to the family

I'm very pleased to tell you that I have become the proud mother of a brand-new Apple PB laptop (15.2” screen). The labour was prolonged, but the morning delivery went without a hitch (and without the need for an epidural). Unfortunately, the father could not be present for the delivery (for some reason he thought work was more important).

He weighs in at 5.6 pounds and has my husband's slim build, but the blue screensaver matches my father's eyes (for that matter, the silver case matches my dad's hair).

The Fedex stork also delivered a tiny sister -- a green iPod mini weighing in at 3.6 oz.

No names have been decided yet, and there are no photos...YET. But I couldn't wait to share the good news.
PS -- I work in communications and the Marketing folks in my division are always talking about the power of a brand. I have some understanding of branding but it wasn't until I took delivery of my laptop that I truly understood the power of a brand. Everything from the website to the packaging reflects the apple brand. And boy, is that packaging slick. Ric, I understand why you took photos when you brought your PB home. I haven't even taken mine out of the box yet, it looks so great. And the iPod mini packaging is terrific too. One of my favourite elements is that opening line: designed by Apple in California. And then I'm opening up the manual/software for the iPod, and there's that little grey word: enjoy.
I took photos.
My dad is almost as excited as I am. He just picked up a delivery for one of his clients -- a new G5 and cinema display. He's dying to open them up, but of course he can't.
I'm supposed to be working from home, but who can work with a brand-new laptop waiting to be turned on? Anyway, I'll send pictures -- and reports -- in the days to come.
Thanks for your help in selecting my PB -- and for reinforcing my feelings about the Apple product.

Ric

Reaction score
Re: New Addition to the family

Have you come up for air yet ?

Glad it arrived safely ! Good 'ol' Stork !

have fun !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question