password recovery on used power mac G4

Reaction score
Hello.
I just got a used power mac G4 from a company that was renovating. I don't know the passwords! I know the usernames from /Users/. I tried to boot from a linux cd and it won't boot from it. I tried to HACK into it with ncrack over the network connecting to port 22 via ssh and user root. nothing. I think it has server 10.3.4 but I know that 9 was installed at one time. I can't get it to boot from the cd, I have tried holding 'c' and option and it won't find the cd drive. Perhaps it's set to boot from firewire? It has 3 firewire ports on the back. I'm new to os x, I have no idea. Please Help.
P.S. I don't have an install cd.

I tried john the ripper but I couldn't find a shadow file. I can only use the computer with single user mode.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
-Do you need any of the data on the Mac? Why not just reformat the HD and install a fresh copy of Mac OS X?
-Are you trying to boot from the Linux CD? Which version?

C

Reaction score
There is no other way!

Get the correct version of the DVD and you can either re-insall or reset the password.

Reaction score
Okay. If I get a linux cd designed for power pc processors will I be able to boot from that. If so I will just install that. And skip OS X completely. I kinda wanted to do that anyway. Would Hazards OS X install disk work instead of the Official? I can't afford to buy it anywhere.

Ask a Question