Pages 8.1 problem

Reaction score
Sometimes when I type in a pages document, The text that I'm typing doesn't show up, only a straight line. This just recently started, probably with Pages 8.1. I first noticed it when I attempted to copy a link and paste it in a document, which I've done numerous times in the past. When I pasted it, only a long straight line appeared. So I highlighted it and was about to delete it and try again when I noticed that when it was highlighted, I could see the link. When I "unhighlighted" it, only the line showed. So I thought, "Well. I guess you can no longer copy and paste links, or maybe they've changed the way that it's done?" I deleted that and began to type normally. Just the long straight line showed. I tried another spot on the page and there was my text. What is happening??? This doesn't always happen. I'm using Mac OS 10.13.6. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I haven't seen this issue personally. It may be a font issue? Can we get a screenshot of what it looks like?

C

Reaction score
Top is this link pasted, unhighlighted.
Bottom is the same thing, highlighted.
Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 9.44.25 AM.png

Reaction score
Also, I just noticed the "side bars" are different, depending on which text is highlighted. I don't understand the reason for this.
Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 9.54.10 AM.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

The Side Bar, Problem Text screenshot is why you are getting the pasting issue. Somehow you made a new paragraph style that includes the underline, Times font, 14 pt spacing, etc. Default is not a normal paragraph style.

Here is some more information on defaults in Pages:
Set a default font in Pages on Mac
Use templates in Pages on Mac

Check those out and you can set your defaul template and font settings using those as a guide.

C

Reaction score
The item I tried to paste was a link, so it was underlined. I guess it was Times 14, too. I didn't change anything. I've never had this problem before. I don't understand where the "Default" came from. When I start a new document and click on the update tab, there doesn't seem to be any listing for "Default"???? I never fool with that section at least KNOWINGLY.

Reaction score
For some unknown reason, it is changing itself from "Body" to "Default" and creating the problem. I just tried to copy a link into a new document, while keeping an eye on that area of the side bar. As soon as I hit "Paste" it changed itself to "Default" and the only thing that showed up in my document was the long straight line. I then clicked on "Update" and changed the evil "Default" to "Body" and my text immediately appeared.

Ask a Question