Page number positioning in PAGES

Reaction score
Using the PAGES application, I have completed a document of 150 pages. The page numbers were applied automatically by the application as I was working on the document, and, although in the correct order numerically, they are not positioned on the page where they would traditionally be found in a book - which is what I want. As it stands, the odd numbers appear at the bottom LEFT margin, and the even numbers appear at the bottom RIGHT margin. Optimally, I'd like to get the page numbers positioned at the TOP of each page and reversed (i.e. odd numbers on the right, even numbers of the left), but cannot find any way to do this. I'm instructed to 'pass the cursor over the top until the three header fields appear' and so on, but all I ever get is a single header field that runs the width of the page. So, I seem to have no control over where the number actually appears. By trial and error, I did manage to get the number 1 on the right, and the number 2 on the left, but what happened as a result was that suddenly ALL the odd-numbers throughout the entire document became 1 and all the even-numbered pages became 2. I had assumed there would be a simple fix, but several hours of attempts have proved me wrong. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which version of OS X/mac OS?
-Which version of Pages?
-Did you start with a book template?
-When you got the numbers on the correct pages, were you in the header of the document?

C

Reaction score
Mac OS Catalina 10.15. Pages: version 8.2 (6520). I'm not in book layout mode. I presume I'm in word processor mode. I simply began writing, accumulating pages one after another, one above another, and the page numbers (so far as I can recall) simply showed up automatically. I certainly have no recollection of doing any specific to set up the pagination.

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which version of OS X/mac OS?
-Which version of Pages?
-Did you start with a book template?
-When you got the numbers on the correct pages, were you in the header of the document?

C
Mac OS Catalina 10.15. Pages: version 8.2 (6520). I'm not in book layout mode. I presume I'm in word processor mode. I simply began writing, accumulating pages one after another, one above another, and the page numbers (so far as I can recall) simply showed up automatically. I certainly have no recollection of doing any specific to set up the pagination.

Ask a Question