? over IMovie

Reaction score
I have the "Gold Star" IMovie Icon on my dashboard, but when try to open it nothing happens. There is a shadow of a black question mark (?) over the top of the icon.

I have used it several times in the past. I have several movies made of my children. I want to use it again, and I ABSOLUTELY DON'T WANT TO LOSE THE VIDEOS of my children.

I believe this happened after my 8 year old niece was using the computer making silly videos and taking pics. I was not watching her the hole time, so to be honest I really don't know everything she did..... :(

I would be super duper grateful for any help.

=>
kd

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Do you mean Dock?

The icon in your Dock is only an alias to the original which lives in your Applications folder.

To fix this first click the old iMovie icon in your Dock and drag it off in a puff of virtual smoke.

Next you'll need to open your Applications folder (MacintoshHD ~> Applications), find iMovie.app then drag it from the Applications folder right down onto your Dock, watch a space appear between 2 icons and then let go and the iMovie icon should stay put.

You've just placed an new alias for iMovie in your Dock.

Reaction score
Do you mean Dock?

The icon in your Dock is only an alias to the original which lives in your Applications folder.

To fix this first click the old iMovie icon in your Dock and drag it off in a puff of virtual smoke.

Next you'll need to open your Applications folder (MacintoshHD ~> Applications), find iMovie.app then drag it from the Applications folder right down onto your Dock, watch a space appear between 2 icons and then let go and the iMovie icon should stay put.

You've just placed an new alias for iMovie in your Dock.

Thank you for helping me. I did mean Dock. I made the old icon disappear, but Imovie is not in my Application folder. Please tell me its somewhere else. => kd

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What version of Mac OS X are you running, kduffy?

You'll find that info under the  ~> About this mac, in the upper right of your screen.

Do you have the original iLife disc or did you download iMovie from the App Store?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Check in the Trash as well, in case she accidentally dragged it there.

Also, change the view of the Applications folder to list mode and sort it by date. Then check the top and bottom of the list, as it may have been renamed.

C

Reaction score
What version of Mac OS X are you running, kduffy?

You'll find that info under the  ~> About this mac, in the upper right of your screen.

Do you have the original iLife disc or did you download iMovie from the App Store?

Version 10.6.8 and yes I believe I have my original iLife disc. If I reinstall, will I lose videos currently saved on my computer?

Reaction score
Check in the Trash as well, in case she accidentally dragged it there.

Also, change the view of the Applications folder to list mode and sort it by date. Then check the top and bottom of the list, as it may have been renamed.

C

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. My trash can is empty. :(

I sorted my apps by date and found no trace of imovie

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Version 10.6.8 and yes I believe I have my original iLife disc. If I reinstall, will I lose videos currently saved on my computer?

Double Click on MacintoshHD and in Users ~> your user account ~> Movies, there should be a folder called iMovie projects where your videos should be

Reaction score
Double Click on MacintoshHD and in Users ~> your user account ~> Movies, there should be a folder called iMovie projects where your videos should be

Yes, I see my movies there. When I double click to open one, it opens in QuickTime Player.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
So all your movies are safe, that's great! Now we need to find or reinstall iMovie.

Regarding Spotlight, press ⌘ spacebar to open the Spotlight search bar in the upper right of your screen and type iMovie to see if it shows up in the results

Ask a Question