Other OS

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Dell, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Dell

Dell New Member

i would have thought a forum like this would have had a section for problems installing other operating systems to Mac?
    I know this forum is ( Mac help ) but if like me You have to use Windows for some things I have to look at other Mac forums or Windows forums if I get any problems.
    Dell

Dell, Oct 12, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. Dell

Cory Cooper Moderator

Hello,

We can help with some basic troubleshooting with regards to the install of Windows on a Mac. But, most of us here don't have a lot of experience with Windows, which is a whole different animal than OS X. In addition, Apple doesn't really support Windows on a Mac, other than through the Boot Camp Assistant. There are simply too many variables to contend with in the Windows environment, and combinations of OS X and Windows versions.

There are third-party applications for OS X like Parallels and Fusion, that are easier to setup for the most part. Also, when using them, you don't need to maintain the Boot Camp drivers and support a dual-boot system. The nice part in using them is the ability to startup and shut down Windows without having to restart your Mac each time, and the ability to share files between the two operating systems easily.

Is there an additional issue you are experiencing other than the one in your other thread regarding the installation of Windows on an external SSD?

C

Cory Cooper, Oct 12, 2016
    Ian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Dell

Ian Administrator

Hi Dell,

I can see why it would be helpful to have on the forum, but unfortunately if we start to add section for things that are often outside the scope of MacOS, it'll dilute the forums - as it's unlikely that they'll see a huge amount of activity. Windows forums would be better suited to Windows-specific questions, but if it's relating to getting it running on Mac then I'm sure this is the place to ask :). I help run W7Forums.com and Windows10Forums.com, both are very helpful with Windows questions.

Ian, Oct 14, 2016
  4. Dell

Dell New Member

No I have no problems with Windows 10 on external SSD it works fine and I wasn't just talking about Windows I have a friend that has Linux on Mac and android.
    Dell

Dell, Oct 17, 2016
  5. Dell

Cory Cooper Moderator

I do know there are tons of resources/forums out there that have good support for Windows and Linux distributions running on Macs. Unfortunately, it is just beyond our experience and focus/scope.

We appreciate your understanding.

C

Cory Cooper, Oct 17, 2016
    1. Advertisements