OS X upgrading

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm in my church's media team and we're running a MacMini with OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5
4GB memory, 500GB storage

We need to upgrade the operating system to at least Sierra.

My question is, can this mac be upgraded to Sierra? If it can, do/can we upgrade the memory at least to 8GB

Trying to figure out the most cost efficient solution for our church.

If it can't be upgraded what's the best mac to upgrade to?

Note: we use the computer for live streaming with OBS and we haven't been able to because we need the newer version to stream and our current computer can't handle that.

Thanks..

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Upgradeability depends on the exact model/specifications of the Mac mini.

What is the exact model of the Mac mini? This can be found in  > About This Mac

C

Reaction score
This is what it said in the Overview

OS X Yosemite
Version: 10.10.5
Mac mini (late 2012)
Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel core i5
Memory: 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
Serial#: C07L98DZDWYL

Sorry for the late reply. I only have access to the computer on Sundays.

Hello and welcome.

Upgradeability depends on the exact model/specifications of the Mac mini.

What is the exact model of the Mac mini? This can be found in  > About This Mac

C

Reaction score
According to everymac.com
*This system fully supports the last version of OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion," OS X 10.9 "Mavericks," and OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" and OS X 10.11 "El Capitan" including Metal graphics acceleration. It is capable of running macOS Sierra (10.12) also, although it does not support the Auto Unlock feature. This model is capable of running macOS High Sierra (10.13), and it supports HEVC (High-Efficiency Video Coding), but it does not support hardware accelerated HEVC.

This model is compatible with the final version of macOS Mojave (10.14) and the current version of macOS Catalina (10.15), as well.

Also see: Which Macs are compatible with macOS Catalina (10.15)? What are the system requirements? What are the major new features? Has anything been removed from previous versions of the macOS?

Ask a Question