OS X Mt. Lion Install Issue

Reaction score
Hello

Having an issue here installing Mt.Lion on my 12,1 iMac...a few minutes into the install it sorta stops and the time counter goes up from '5 minutes remaining' to '6' '7' '8' ...etc. On the logs, the last entry that seems available is:

localhost Install OS X Mountain Lion[346]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.JavaTools (file://localhost/Volumes/Image%20Volume/Packages/JavaTools.pkg)

It stays there and no update beyond that, just lingers for an eternity. I suppose its package 12/16. I've tried this multiple times. I even went and did the crazy (downloaded different versions of the Mac OS) with no success; some worked, some never booted. Seriously going crazy now.

Extra info:

Partition is formatted (GUID, Mac OS Journaled)
Mac 12,1 4GB DDR3 Intel i5 2.5ghz 24''
Running install from SuperDrive, no internet connection.

Ive tried internet connection, didn't seem to work either, I just got impatient waiting for like 2 hours with the install lingering at the same place. I even tried multiple HDD's and nothing, still same issue. What is the issue here, this thing was working fine a few hours ago, now can't install OS :(

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Did you upgrade with third-party RAM?
If you upgraded, do you have the original Apple RAM that came in the iMac? Third-party RAM can cause installation issues like this.

-Are you installing over the top of an older OS, or is this a clean install on a freshly formatted HD?

-Have you ever let it continue more than two hours or so?
I have seen it seemingly get stuck at a point during the installation, and take up to four hours to complete.

-Where did you download the various versions of the OS?
There isn't an official download of Mac OS X other than via the Apple App Store.

We'll try to help you figure this out,

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Did you upgrade with third-party RAM?
If you upgraded, do you have the original Apple RAM that came in the iMac? Third-party RAM can cause installation issues like this.

-Are you installing over the top of an older OS, or is this a clean install on a freshly formatted HD?

-Have you ever let it continue more than two hours or so?
I have seen it seemingly get stuck at a point during the installation, and take up to four hours to complete.

-Where did you download the various versions of the OS?
There isn't an official download of Mac OS X other than via the Apple App Store.

We'll try to help you figure this out,

C

Yep, it was a clean install on a freshly formatted HD.

I let it just sit there for a long time, possibly 2:30 Hours and it eventually finished. Now the O.S is installed and I'm happy like a mountain goat. I guess my impatience, and doubt got the better of me before, I figured it had frozen...but I should have known. Java always takes decades to install.

Well thanks for the help man. Much appreciated.

[SOLVED]

Ask a Question