OS 10.10.5 to 10.11.4

Reaction score
Mid 2011 MacBook Air, Os.10.10.5. Trying to restore an iphone but it says I need Os. 10.11.4 on the MacBook. Try Software Update but there is nothing. Looked in the App Store , also nothing. How can I upgrade?

Reaction score
OK, need to ask a number of different questions, and you need to do some preparations:

1. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You can actually do quite a lot of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can help you with that.

2. Are you making backups to an external device? That task is so, so critical. If you are doing that, what software do you use for that task?

3. Are you using any third party (ie, non-Apple) software? If so, you'll need to insure that those programs are either compatible with the OS you are moving to, or have upgrades for such compatibility. This link can help you with that:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

I used to have a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air with a 256 gig SSD (currently have a mid 2017 13" MacBook Air with a 256 gig SSD), and it might be wise to upgrade to one OS "higher", ie, OS 10.12.6, Sierra. That is a nice, stable OS, and it ran fine on both of my MacBook Airs (and on my late 2012 Mac Mini). However, it might be difficult to find it in the App Store (not sure why Apple goes through great efforts to hide such things). But I just found a way:

https://gist.github.com/miku/a331a80e24c2741c0c48f36b0e88eed0

Just click on that first link you see there.

It might be best if you do a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of Sierra, then "migrate"/copy needed "stuff" from your backup (mandatory that you have one).

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. The link worked Ok on the MacBook but I spent a couple of days afterwards trying to Restore my iPhone., would not let me. Eventually managed it so alls well that ends well. Why do Apple make things so difficult? Thanks for the help.