Option in mail to send from selected account?

Reaction score
Hello All, and thanks for the help in advance. Can anyone tell me if there is an option in the iphone mail app to send email from the address of the selected account? I have a few different accounts set to come into my phone app, and would like work messages to be from my work email, etc. without having to manually adjust the "from" line each time.

Reaction score
That's actually my problem. I don't want to set just one default account to reply from. I want mail to choose to send mail from the account that I am currently working from. So if a personal email is in my inbox, and I hit reply, the reply automatically comes from my personal email. And, if a work email comes in, and I hit reply, the reply will automatically come from my work address.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I have multiple email accounts and have this problem too ...

On my iMac the Mail.app prefs only offer "reply from selected account" or "set default" so I'd imagine that it'd be the same for iPhone too.

So, indadvertedly I'm forever emailing contacts from whichever account was selected at the time rather than the preferred one

... a PITA but it's just something I live with.

Reaction score
Ok, I've just do some test with my iPad, sorry don't have an iPhone with 2 mail accounts.

So this is how it works:
When a mail comes in through an account, when you click reply it defaults to send from the same account that received it.
BUT you can tap on the From email and change that if required.

If you use any other means to send an email, via Notification Center, Share in App, then it uses the Default Account set in the Setting.

I'm pretty sure this is the way it works on the Mac too.

Reaction score
I know we all know Google is evil, but my solution to this problem has been to use GMail (and Google's official GMail app for iOS). You can create a GMail account and set up all your other accounts (home, work, etc) so they'll forward every new e-mail message to your GMail account the moment it arrives (you can also tell them to delete the original messages when they forward them to your GMail account, so your inboxes will never fill up). You can then set your GMail account up so that, by default, when you click "reply" (or "reply to all" or "forward") the reply will be sent from the e-mail address the original e-mail message was sent to (this will also work on the iOS GMail app, but I believe you must set it up from an actual computer). Finally, you can create filters and labels so you'll automatically know which "inbox" the message you received sits in (home, work, etc).

Not exactly what you expected, but maybe it will help.

Cheers!

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused here…

"And, if a work email comes in, and I hit reply, the reply will automatically come from my work address."

that exactly describes the iPhone's default behaviour - the account the email was received by is the one it automagically uses to reply…

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a bit confused here…

Me to :Dit is as Kaveman described,:) whichever mail account I receive mail into and open to reply it uses that account.
That unless instead of replying I write a new mail to the sender;), then it will revert to my default new mail which is iCloud. And this applies to my MacBooks, iPad and iPhone.

OP:

What iOS are you running?

Ask a Question