OpenOffice related Problem

Reaction score
I have used OpenOffice for as long as I have had my Mac (Snow Leopard Days) without incident. I am currently running OS X 10.10.5 on an old Mac Mini. Just lately, I have been experiencing a problem. See the attached file. I can still open an OO document and modify it, but the usual "Save" and "Close" buttons are unavailable. I must close the document using the Red Button and the select "Save."

I used the OO Forum and was told that this was a Mac problem, not an OO problem. I was referred to some links, but I was unable to find anything there that seemed to address my problem.

Can you either (1) suggest a relatively simple fix for this problem with OpenOffice or (2) suggest another program that is either an open source or relatively inexpensive alternative substitute to OpenOffice that will read (and write to) the format used my all my friends who have Windows machines. Of course it would be a big bonus if I could salvage all of my OO files (Mostly spread sheets). I am not willing to pay a monthly or annual subscription; I would prefer to pay even a large amount up front and "own it outright" than use some subscription plan.

Thank you for any assistance that you can provide.
Doug Stocks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 8.04.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 8.04.45 AM.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 249

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello again.

-Which version of OpenOffice - 4.1.2?

There are two things that are known to fix this issue:

1. OpenOffice > Preferences > OpenOffice (tab) > General > Open/Save Dialogs - make sure Use OpenOffice dialogs is checked.
2. Reset your OpenOffice profile

Try number 1 first. If that doesn't fix it, let us know, and we'll explain how to reset the OpenOffice user profile. Doing so can/will delete any custom settings and such that you have accumulated over the years, so we don't want to go that route just yet.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Also you could try LibreOffice. It is basically the same app as OpenOffice, but has had a little more development over the years.

C

Reaction score
Hello again.

-Which version of OpenOffice - 4.1.2?

There are two things that are known to fix this issue:

1. OpenOffice > Preferences > OpenOffice (tab) > General > Open/Save Dialogs - make sure Use OpenOffice dialogs is checked.
2. Reset your OpenOffice profile

Try number 1 first. If that doesn't fix it, let us know, and we'll explain how to reset the OpenOffice user profile. Doing so can/will delete any custom settings and such that you have accumulated over the years, so we don't want to go that route just yet.

C
Hello again, Mr Cooper.

I tried to get back to this post and delete it before it 'bothered' you. As you can guess, I finally found a fix. That was as follows: In Finder I Option-clicked Go, then > Library > Saved Application State. Once there I deleted the folder "org.openoffice.script.savedState."

But I do thank you very much for your kind and generous assistance and apologize for calling on you 'too soon.'

With Kind Regards,
Doug Stocks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...no bother at all.

That is a good troubleshooting step...glad it sorted it.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question