Only wireless keyboard/mouse working

Reaction score
I recently did a software update (no idea what was included, just clicked it and restarted) and ever since my usb keyboard and mouse have not worked. I am using the extended apple keyboard and a SteelSeries mouse.

If I restart my computer and hold alt (to switch between windows partition and mac) my mouse and keyboard work up until the point I click on the Mac button. They both go dead and the only thing I can use is my wireless Mac keyboard and wireless Mac magic mouse. I know my usb ports still work because my phone charger still charges my phone in each different usb slot.

If I go into my windows partition (through BootCamp) everything works, have no issues.

Seeing as how my wireless keyboard got juice spilled on it and the "D" and "S" keys don't work I hate having to use it. Also, the magic mouse is no fun compared to my 100 dollar mouse so I'd prefer not to be stuck using that either.

How can I fix this? Is there a way to remove an update? Or is there some random default that turns on that disallows the use of usb keyboards/mice after a certain update?

Oh, I should add that when I tried to turn off Bluetooth this message popped up - "You cannot control your computer if you turn Bluetooth off at this time as you would lose your input devices."

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Is there a way to remove an update?
not really, as it could have patched all manner of stuff.
Or is there some random default that turns on that disallows the use of usb keyboards/mice after a certain update?
Nope

Do you have a clean Admin Account setup to solve these types of problems?

I'd start by downloading and reinstalling the SteelSeries mouse drivers as they don't use the standard USB.
The other place to look is in System Profile and see if the Mac is seeing the USB devices.

Ask a Question