No video from Mini A1176 after upgrading

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a Core Duo Mac Mini A1176 that I recently decided to upgrade. I swapped out the hard drive with an SSD, replaced the CPU with a 2.0 C2D, and upgraded the RAM to 3GB after flashing the firmware from 1,1 to 1,2.

After putting everything back together and switching the Mini on, however, I have no video. The Mini light turns on just fine, I do have keyboard input, and there is a normal startup chime. However, there is no output from the DVI port whatsoever.

I swapped the DVI cables, tried a different monitor, reset the PRAM, reset the SMC, and double-checked to ensure everything was assembled correctly. However, I still can't get any video. It is frustrating because I know the Mini works: all the functioning signs prove this. I just can't get the video to display.

I even put the Mini in Firewire Target Disk Mode, and the SSD appeared on the host Mac without issue.

I'm worried that something may have been broken off or damaged during the CPU upgrade, which is chancy anyway. I have done this upgrade before, but you never know.

Ask a Question