No Preview images and extrenal flash icon recognition

Reaction score
Hi, I have an old Mac desktop Mac Pro from 2005, dual core intell, upgraded to max 10.6.8.
I moved and didn’t get to backup or download out a bunch od imagery. I am a sculptor so this thing is loaded
with images. I usually edit in Preview before Photoshop or HP Image Edit.
Lots in stogare iniphoto as well.
I had to shut the CPU down for a month before I could power up again. I got help,with starting up with a soft start.
It still needs this fir the power gets cut off or something. It takes a long time to power up/start.
Big thing in Preview which is my go-to for images in files, when I open an image and Preview kicks in,
the window has no image, though the thumbs come up on the right vertical bar.
No image as usually would be come up. If I go to slideshow the images do come up. Though no editing possible.
I also connected via usb port a flash drive and the desktop would not recognize it. No icon came up to indicate the flash stick
was ready for use on the desktop page. Dont know how I can get all the imagery out of the files onto a flash to
clear memory enough to get my mac in a better more clear state. This has worked in the past.
Thank you for your help

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It could be the start of some form of hardware failure, possible the power supply. Are the time and date correct when you startup?

-Which exact model is the Mac - Power Mac G5 (Early or Late 2005)? Intel Mac Pros weren't released until 2006, and the first model of that can go to OS X 10.7.5 Lion.
-Do you have other USB/FireWire drives you can try?
-Does the USB flash drive show in the sidebar of a Finder window, or is it recognized in Disk Utility?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It could be the start of some form of hardware failure, possible the power supply. Are the time and date correct when you startup?

-Which exact model is the Mac - Power Mac G5 (Early or Late 2005)? Intel Mac Pros weren't released until 2006, and the first model of that can go to OS X 10.7.5 Lion.
-Do you have other USB/FireWire drives you can try?
-Does the USB flash drive show in the sidebar of a Finder window, or is it recognized in Disk Utility?

C
Hi, I bought this Mac Pro in Dec. I think, 2005. This is the info from the “about this mac”.
Mac OS X
Version 10.6.8
Processor 2x2.66 GHz
Dual-Core Intel Xeon
2 processors
4 cores
model mac pro
model id. macpro 1.1
The flash isn’t recognized anywhere is seems, I’ve tried different flash units with no recognition.
Time and date are accurate at start up.
I have upgraded OS to the maximum maybe at least 2-3 years ago.

Ask a Question