No entry sign / folder with ? On startup MacBook

Reaction score
Hi
When starting up my MacBook I get 3 alternate flashing symbols. They are the apple logo, a folder with a question mark and a no entry sign all randomly flashing and the computer will not start!

Any ideas what is going on greatly appreciated!

Hint: I was trying to "create disk space" on my MacBook today as I was sick of seeing The message "your start up disk is full" every day so I decided to send a lot of stuff over to my external hard drive (admittedly including folders I am not sure of what they are for etc)

Could I have possibly moved the start up software?? And if so how do I get it back?!

Please help ASAP

Gracias

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

Could I have possibly moved the start up software?? And if so how do I get it back?!
Yes a very good possibility,:( try the following.

1) Insert your instal disk and shut the Mac down.
2) Reboot the Mac fro the inserted instal disk while holding down the C key.
3) Once stated choose disk utility from the utility menu and do a OS X repair.

Reaction score
No, I should be impossible to move the System Folder, but you could have moved/deleted important system files. It implies you went outside your User space, never a good idea. Ensure you are not set as Admin on your Standard account.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

Yes a very good possibility,:( try the following.

1) Insert your instal disk and shut the Mac down.
2) Reboot the Mac fro the inserted instal disk while holding down the C key.
3) Once stated choose disk utility from the utility menu and do a OS X repair.

I do not have the original box or disk, my MacBook is five years old. I live in Spain, can I order a disk online somewhere??
Thank you

Ask a Question