no computer name showing for file sharing

Reaction score
I have a recently purchased, used MacBook Pro with OS x 10.8.4. I also have a Macbook Air. I am trying to set up sharing of files folders and a printer. I am new to the Mac.

In file sharing from system prefs, there is no computer name showing...all the options are greyed out. The page is locked. I am on a wireless home network as is the MacAir with a combo router/modem from comcast

When I click the lock icon, it brings up a box saying system prefs need my name and pw to unlock the sahring page, There is a default name in the the name field, but it is different from the name I used when I signed up for my apple id through iCloud. But neither that name nor the name for my apple id, nor the email version of my apple id, along with my usual password, works to unlock the sharing page. I do not recall nor could find where I created the name that comes up by default when I first click the lock. (Is there a place to find that out, and learn the difference between that and the apple id name?)

The question is, ow do I get the sharing folder to recognize my computer so I can share files and a printer.

Thanks

Galen

Reaction score
It is asking for the Administrator Account User Name and Password, has nothing to do with email nor iCloud nor AppleID.

Reaction score
Thanks....I found the current admin name under users....but the password I use is not working for the admin account...when I choose change password in the user admin account, it asks for the original password...I do not know it, and several guesses failed. I was unable to delete the current admin account to start over. Is there a way out of this catch 22?

Reaction score
I have a recently purchased, used MacBook Pro with OS x 10.8.4
The person who setup this computer would have set it. They should have told you the Admin Password when they sold you the MacBook.

Reaction score
ha ha...as that was not a known at the time, that will have to apply to the next one!

Thanks for the link!

Ask a Question