New to Mac Help

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum but not to forums in general, I'm active on a couple or 4 motorcycle forums and a Mod on one of them.

I'm fairly new to the Mac world of computing, purchased my first Apple product about six or seven years ago and my first Mac 4 years ago. I've been using it mainly for web surfing and video editing

Decided I needed to learn more about the Mac after having a recent problem and found this forum. A lot of info here to try and digest and looks like some really knowledgeable folks.

A couple links to my ride videos. . .

With the old camera

When I'm not at work, on the bike or working on videos I build custom wood pens and game calls. My calls are mostly duck calls but I do a few turkey calls and deer grunt calls.

Well that pretty much describes me. Glad to be here.
Tony

Reaction score
Hi,

Congratulations on your Mac addition am sure you will enjoy using it. Personally since I moved to Apple many years ago I have found both work and private life a lot less stressful.
As a Mac does what you want how you want just simply works.:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Hemibee, great to have you join us!

That forest video looks like great fun (nice editing job too). :D

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes. . . I like the MAc and the more I learn about it I like it even more, now if I could get all my work computers swapped to Mac. . . but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Hi Hemibee, great to have you join us!

That forest video looks like great fun (nice editing job too). :D

Thanks, the editing is still a work in progress, but a fun work. The forest can be a blast, especially this road since it is not a well now route and the traffic is low. Throw in a few dirt roads and we can run for hours without seeing another car, truck or bike. :D

Reaction score
Hello,

I thought I was new to Mac Help, but the User menu immediately popped up with "Welcome back, Andrew". A server with false memory syndrome? Or me with Alzheimer's? Chilling thoughts both…..

I have had an iMac for nearly three years and still find aspects annoying, despite being far better off as an Apple slave than I was over 20+ years battling with Windows.

I can usually make a PC do what I want and had a lot of MSDOS routines which would still work behind Windows (at least up to Xp - never went any further); I have to do as I am told with the iMac…:(

Just now I am wondering why a right-click on a JPG file offers me "Open With" five (5) different versions of Picasa , three of Safari, and two of SketchBook Express, when there is only one Xxxxxx.app file for each in the Applications folder. Not important, but intriguing…

Main reason for joining here is that I have been pestering one good friend with all my queries for far too long!

Off to search for posts about things I can't figure…

'Bye all (for now)

Andrew

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

Just now I am wondering why a right-click on a JPG file offers me "Open With" five (5) different versions of Picasa , three of Safari, and two of SketchBook Express, when there is only one Xxxxxx.app file for each in the Applications folder. Not important, but intriguing…

Personally I feel this is a representation of lately opened programs that can deal with a JPG file, not the number of program versions.
IE,
recently you have opened / used Picasa on five different occasions to work on a JPG etc.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 22.57.23.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 22.57.23.png
    110.6 KB · Views: 425
Reaction score
Ah! Thanks for the welcome and the info.

In the five Picasa versions on offer in my option list there are two different software version numbers - I can choose between 3.9.7 and 3.9.16 - and when I open each, the "About Picasa" info shows me I do have the version chosen (.7 or .16 as selected…)

I have no way of knowing about the others, but it seems that there must be more than one active Picasa app somewhere. And even as I write I am offered an update to Picasa 3.9.16 which I have on my machine (but mine is 3.9.16.37 so there must be a …..38 I guess…). I wonder if a duplicate-file-finding app would help?

I did have MacKeeper on the iMac and it found duplicate files "for fun", but it was messing things up so I uninstalled it.

Andrew

Reaction score
Hi,

Le français est la langue de mon premier:D
So please forgive punctuation and explanation spelling, what I was meaning is that program's used to open files are remembered.
In the five Picasa versions on offer in my option list there are two different software version numbers - I can choose between 3.9.7 and 3.9.16 - and when I open each, the "About Picasa" info shows me I do have the version chosen (.7 or .16 as selected…)

So try this right click an image file on your hard drive and select open with Picasa 3.9.7 and see what happens. If the file opens go to about Picasa and check version.
If as you say it gives the above V number then indeed you must have for some reason multiple versions.:confused:
Also open launchpad does this show multiple versions?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Because I have a few startup discs attached I see quite a lot of options too!

oldscribe, Je l'apprends Francais moi meme!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 5.46.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 5.46.56 PM.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 302
Reaction score
Hi SD,

Arr now I understand your profile re Tassie:D L'Australie est un très beau pays mais robuste:)

EDIT:

Wanted to say Rugged > Rugueux but does not translate well into English.:confused::)

Reaction score
Thanks SD! Not that many of my moves can be called smart with the Mac, yet…

OldScribe - Merci bien, mon vieux! Ton français est beaucoup meilleur que mon anglais, je crois! Je peux mettre en marche tous les deux versions de Picasa (.7 et .16) mais il n'y a qu'un seul icon Picasa presenté à Launchpad.

It is too difficult for me to write in French!!! EVERY word is changed to something English by the SpellChecker!!! Grrrrrr!

Yes - only one Picasa icon in Launchpad but two versions both function. Not a real problem - I'm still figuring out how the Mac works!!

À bientôt, mon ami :)

Andrew

Reaction score
Hi,

I agree about having multiple selections available, as you can see from my screen shot in other post. My difference is that if I click on say any of the pixelmater options it always opens the same version.
Find this interesting so will investigate later.

Reaction score
Hi,

This is most strange, I have just logged on to the Mac and now when I go to the open with option have one Pixelmator option. Have done absolutely nothing so maybe this is one of the Macs self cleaning areas.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 15.24.02.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 15.24.02.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 351
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new here, so let me introduce myself. I'm retired, new to computers(sent my first email in '09), a musician, and love old motorcycles. After dabbling with a couple Windows computers, I bought a Macbook in '09. Smart move. Once you have Mac you never go back. I play in a classic rock band. The band can be found at 'smokewrench.net'. I also do recording on Garageband. A recent problem has brought me here, but I will save that for later after I scan some of the posts here. I have many albums that I have digitized and put on Itunes. I have also played around with Imovie and have made some videos for my grandkids. My friends call me Ray...........arc1953:p

Reaction score
My name is Phillip Jones. I not exact new to this forum but haven't written much.
I've been a Mac User since the days of the SE/30 and OS 6.1 (I'm old enough have a beard.:))
I am not new Forums I've participated on Adobe Forums since 1993 and MicroSoft Forums since about that time as well, listed as a Community Star.
In addition my love of Mac Computers. I am into Photography and Genealogy.

Ask a Question