need to view console log history- only goes back a week...

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm trying to find out when I last had a (now lost/stolen) USB plugged in to my Mac Air 10.9.4. I looked in the Console, and found, under the system log, a history of all of the USBs/iPods, etc that have been in my computer. However, the data only goes back to Aug. 14th- while I need to see the data for the 11th, 12th, and 13th (as it was during those days the USB disappeared). I can't seem to find a way to view that older data.

Does anyone know if that is possible? I've heard mixed messages on this topic- that the data is either deleted, or 'rotated' into compressed files that one can somehow access. I tried finding the latter ( and also accessing the private/var/log, but it said I don't have permission to view those files. This is my computer, and no one else has ever used it, so that's confusing to me.

Further, after unwisely tinkering in the Terminal, it seems I can't even access the system.log data from this week. There's also a bunch of "peruser" files, and my Mac HD is filled with about 15 "shadow" files that appear, but can't be opened. So, I've done something wrong, but I don't know what, and/or if it will harm my original goal of retrieving/finding Console data from 10 days ago. I've never explored this part of a mac.

Anyway, I really need to know when I last used that missing USB, it contains a year's worth of photos, so if anyone has a suggestions or can point me in the right direction to where I could get the info I seek, it would much appreciated.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi,
Possibly try this.

Type syslog -C in Terminal
Or if you would like to save this information in a text file, you can do this:
syslog -C > /Desktop/console.log.

This command should show all your previous inputs into terminal, so you might see what you did.

history | less

And you should be able to open that file in text editor, but I would not alter it.

Last edited:

Ask a Question